cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbuchner
Community Contributor

Can I make my email on my profile hidden?

Jump to solution

I've now received two solicitation emails from one company explicitly saying they got my email from a Canvas thread. I do not want this to happen again. Can I hide my email on my profile?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

cesbrandt‌, the Community Team has made a few tweaks. Members who are coming to the Community for the first time can now change their user names before accepting their profile information, and Canvas will no longer overwrite the user name upon login. If you'd like, I can change your user name to however you want it to read (although per What are the Canvas Community guidelines? , you do need to "Be You" Smiley Wink) and it should stay the way you want it: just let me know.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Yes,  @jbuchner ‌, by pulling down the arrow next to your profile avatar in the upper right of the page, clicking on Edit Profile, and selecting the Privacy tab, you can set the visibility options for your email address in the Community. I've got mine set to be visible to "Registered Users," but you can choose a different option.

Also, since this is a question about the Community and not about the Canvas LMS per se, I'm going to move it to the Meta Community Group‌ which is where we discuss all-things-Community. If you're not yet a member of that group you can click on the group link to request membership.

James
Community Champion

I'm pretty sure this won't work, stefaniesanders.

@jbuchner 's username is his email address, so you get it every time you mouse over his name. My email address is set to display just to myself (in case I forget), but it's out there the same as John's.

Yes, that's true,  @James ; the visibility settings for the email address control what shows on the pop-up card for a Community member, but if the email address is being used as the username/login, it appears upon mouse-over (in a bar at the lower left of the browser) whether someone is logged into the Community or not. You can make it more difficult for spammers to get your email address, but I don't believe the Jive platform gives us any additional control over this. Nevertheless, I will check.

jbuchner
Community Contributor

Ha! I was in this weird place where I could see replies to my question, but not reply myself because I was not a member of this group. Anyway, I changed some of my profile settings so fewer people should be able to see my email address, Let's see if anything changes.

cesbrandt
Community Champion

stefaniesanders‌, have you been able to get any additional information on this? I know when I joined the community I had no say in the matter. My information was pulled from our instance of Canvas and the username defaulted to my e-mail address.

cesbrandt‌, the Community Team has made a few tweaks. Members who are coming to the Community for the first time can now change their user names before accepting their profile information, and Canvas will no longer overwrite the user name upon login. If you'd like, I can change your user name to however you want it to read (although per What are the Canvas Community guidelines? , you do need to "Be You" Smiley Wink) and it should stay the way you want it: just let me know.

View solution in original post

cesbrandt
Community Champion

Could you just remove the domain from the username?

This we can do...

cesbrandt, I've removed the domain name from your username. Let us know how this works for you!