Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer III

Canvas Community (Jive) API

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

For several years, Indiana University has maintained its own site for making and voting on Canvas Feature Requests.  We allow users to vote locally on our site and if there's a comparable suggestion in the Canvas community, we link to it so users can vote here as well.  We're revamping our voting site and we'd looking for a way to surface popular community Canvas requests and make extremely easy for our faculty to vote for them.  In other words, we want to insulate faculty from the complexity of the Canvas community (unless they really want to see it).  So, I'm wondering whether Instructure ever grants institutions access to the Jive API for the Canvas Community, and if so, how one goes about initiating such a request. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi leward@iu.edu,

Unfortunately we cannot give an institution access to the community APIs without also giving them access to a lot of other things that we (and probably they) would not let them also have access.  Cool idea though.

Thanks,

SD

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi leward@iu.edu,

Unfortunately we cannot give an institution access to the community APIs without also giving them access to a lot of other things that we (and probably they) would not let them also have access.  Cool idea though.

Thanks,

SD

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks for the quick response, Scott.  I completely understand, but thought it was worth asking.  🙂

Highlighted

By all means!  Stefanie and Renee reminded me that there isn't any reason you can't pull rss feeds directly from Studio and because you can add your own tags to ideas you could create a taxonomy that is meaningful at your institution.

Highlighted

HI scottd@instructure.com‌.

I have a related question.  Is it possible to construct a Jive URL for a specific page in a way that forces a user to log in before they get to the page? As I mentioned above, our current site let's users vote for ideas locally and also provides a link for users to vote for the same (or a similar) idea in the Canvas community.  But people new to the community don't necessarily know they need to have an account or log in to vote.  So once they click the link and land on the idea, they may not know what to do next and give up. If we can force a login via a parameter in the URL, that would make it much easier for newbies to get started--if they haven't created a Jive acct yet, they'll be prompted to create one.  And if they have, they'll see the voting widgets as soon as they land on the page.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Another question, scottd@instructure.com‌.  I just noticed your comment about tagging above.  How do I add personal tags to feature ideas that I don't own.  Is that possible?

Highlighted

Hi Lynn,

No, sorry I wasn't clear.  I meant that you could add tags to your own ideas to organize them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks, scottd@instructure.com‌.  Did you see my other question from yesterday about forcing a login when linking to a community idea from an external web site? Do you happen to know whether this is possible and, if so, can you provide the syntax?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Lynn,

No, sorry.  I missed your other question.  The way inbox view works you only see the last however many comments in the thread and I  saw the last comment you left but not the one preceding it.

No, that isn't technically possible to redirect people to login in the formatting of a url.  You can force people to login before they enter a given area of the community but you cannot control access specific to individual content items.  Allowing anyone in the world to view feature ideas and comment threads without having to be logged in is something we do be choice as we think the transparency provides more value than harm.  What I think we should consider, however, is whether it makes sense to feature the message that in order to participate you must create a community account and be logged in.  Thank you for that insight.

Highlighted

Thanks for getting back to me on this.  I do think it would be helpful to prominently display something that says you must be logged in to vote.  If that language  could replace the voting widgets in each idea, that would be ideal. 🙂

0 Kudos