Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brian_t_anders
Surveyor

Canvas Update Notifications

Jump to solution

Hello!!

I used to get weekly emails and emails for Canvas updates and I do not receive them anymore. I noticed a significant change in my Canvas environment this morning and wanted to see why I did not get an email. Now that I think of it, I haven't gotten email notifications in months. I like to read Canvas updates prior to them being pushed out.

Anyone experience the same thing or know how to check on notification settings?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @brian_t_anders ...

Are you asking about course notifications for things like Assignments, Gradebook, Discussion replies, etc. ... stuff that happens in Canvas?  Or, are you asking about notifications you used to get from content here in the Canvas Community...such as when new Release Notes are posted or when someone replies to you in a Community topic?  Depending on what you are asking, the answer will be different...so it would help to get some clarification from you.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Hi  @brian_t_anders  and vanzandt. Adam here from the Community team at Instructure. We have encountered a handful of other instances of this happening. In those cases we were able to get the issue resolved with our platform provider. Thank you for letting us know you have also stopped receiving email updates. I am going to update our case with both of your reports and I will let you know when I have an update.

If you hear of any other reports of this please direct them to this thread where they can let us know they are also affected in a comment. I'll start following this thread for any other reports. Thanks!

20 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @brian_t_anders ...

Are you asking about course notifications for things like Assignments, Gradebook, Discussion replies, etc. ... stuff that happens in Canvas?  Or, are you asking about notifications you used to get from content here in the Canvas Community...such as when new Release Notes are posted or when someone replies to you in a Community topic?  Depending on what you are asking, the answer will be different...so it would help to get some clarification from you.  Thanks!

0 Kudos

I'm referring to Canvas Updates. Not anything that happens in any of my courses. I want to be able to read Canvas patches and release notes via email, rather than having to check the website on a regular basis.

Thanks for the clarification,  @brian_t_anders .  There are a couple things you can do here in the Community to get notifications about when new documents are posted.

First, you'll want to check out your notification settings within your Community profile.  How do I set my user preferences in the Canvas Community? 

Next, if you want to follow certain things here in the Community like the written Release Notes and the New Features Screencasts, you can do that, too.  For example, if you wanted to follow the space where all the written Release Notes are published, you could go here: Release Notes: Canvas LMS.  You would then click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of the screen where you could then select how you wanted to get those updates.  The same applies for the Screencast space: Release Notes: Canvas LMS.

Finally, since your question is more about how to do things here in the Community than it is about Canvas, I am going to move your question over to the Meta Community Group‌.  This is the group where we keep conversations about the cool stuff you can do here in the Community site.  If you are not yet following this group, please use the link that I've provided, and then click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of the screen.  You'll also see an "Actions" button next to "Follow".  Click on that button as well, and then select "Join group".

I hope all of this will help you, Brian.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this.

Thanks for the informative response! I checked my preferences for receiving notifications and they have already been set up to receive notifications but they haven't been coming through for the past few months. I also follow another forum, outside of Canvas/Instructure, that uses the same engine as this one and I stopped receiving notifications from that forum as well. It seems like it is a problem with the provider and not Canvas/Instructure.

Do you know if there was a change at any point with how these notifications were pushed? I verified my email address was correct and that my workplace spam filter wasn't catching it. Hopefully, if nobody knows the answer, following the Release Notes will push these updates to me.

Hi Brian,

I am still getting notifications about changes to documents in the Canvas Release Notes space.  Are you certain you are following that space?

Here is a screenshot of the particular community place you need to be following:

Community Place Screenshot of Release Notes Space

Thanks,

Scott

Hi  @scottdennis , I have had similar experience to  @brian_t_anders , where the weekly digest emails from the community stopped sending months ago. I do Follow the Release Notes space and I do receive the Release Notes announcement in email, but I have a feeling that is happening through some other Canvas Admin mailing list. To stay up-to-date on specific Release Notes changes, I have to either Follow each specific release notes detail page or comment on it. I have not yet received anything for the new Deploy Notes, either through the Follow feature in community or the admin mailing list (if there is one). I think this might be the changes that Brian is referencing. 

Hi  @brian_t_anders  and vanzandt. Adam here from the Community team at Instructure. We have encountered a handful of other instances of this happening. In those cases we were able to get the issue resolved with our platform provider. Thank you for letting us know you have also stopped receiving email updates. I am going to update our case with both of your reports and I will let you know when I have an update.

If you hear of any other reports of this please direct them to this thread where they can let us know they are also affected in a comment. I'll start following this thread for any other reports. Thanks!

I'm going to mark this answer correct for now so people see it upon visiting the thread. I'll update it if there is more relevant information to share in the future.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@brian_t_anders ‌ and vanzandt‌, thanks for your patience as we have continued to work with the third-party platform provider in an attempt to get this satisfactorily addressed. The platform provider took remedial steps right before the holidays in an effort to address this ongoing issue. Would you let us know if you are now receiving emailed notifications in accordance with the preferences you have set?

Thanks for your patience.