Community Migration Update and FAQ, July 7th

Adventurer III
13 35 2,462

As we get closer to launching the next community platform we are ready to begin sharing more specific information than we felt ready to share in New Community Almost Here, which we posted on June 22nd.  As of now the plan is to shift from the current platform (JiveX) to the new Khoros based community on the night of July 22nd with most people experiencing the new platform on July 23rd.  A group of beta testers will begin testing the new plaform on Thursday, July 23rd.  We are shooting for full go-live on August 6th.  The transition should last several hours, during which time the current community will remain available but in a read only mode.  After the shift, people should be able to log into the new platform with their existing credentials.  The new community will be organized a little differently than the old one but the plan is to migrate the vast majority of the content from old to new.  Almost all content from Jive should be redirected to Khoros as well, so bookmarked links should not break.  When the new community launches, users will find a few things will have changed.  Some names will be different (ie; Groups will become Group Hubs). However the basic community premise will remain unchanged - you will find up to date documentation about how Canvas functions as well as opportunities to connect with other Canvas users.  For more information please find frequently asked questions below.

FAQ

Why is Instructure moving the Community to a new platform?

The Canvas Community moved to our current community platform almost six years ago. Since then, much has changed in the community management industry. The Canvas Community itself has grown from about 5600 people to over 750,000. On average more than 30,000 people a day actively participate in the Community. The platform we chose six years ago was great then, and it has served us well for many years, but it is also now a legacy product which means that the company that owns the platform will eventually shut it down and encourage all remaining users to move to a newer, more modern home. That is what we are choosing to do now.  

Will I have to recreate my login to the Community?

Unlike when we moved last time, this time the plan is to transfer all the current users and almost all the content from the old platform to the new. If you are a community member today, you will authenticate into the new community via Canvas just as you did before.  You should find your community profile, history, content, and so forth waiting for you in the new platform.

What about my stuff? Will the content I have created and the discussions I have participated in in the past be lost?

As previously covered, all your loot should follow you into the new community.

What about my bookmarks? Will my links to community content still work? Will the bookmarks I create in Jive still exist?

The goal is to migrate all the community created content from old to new with redirects in place so all your bookmarks and direct links should still work.  The previous community platform had a Jive-specific bookmarking tool.  As far as our testing has allowed us to determine thus far, your Jive bookmarks should come through to your Khoros (new community platform) profile in one form or another.

What about the Canvas Guides? Will they still live in the Community?

Yes, the Guides will still be available via the Community

What about feature ideas?

All feature ideas currently available in the Community will migrate over to the new platform.  Because of differing technical functionality between the two platforms, voting points will be replaced with star ratings.

Will we be able to embed content from Khoros into other sites?

One of the challenges in Jive was that the product was specifically designed to prevent people from adding community content to an external webpage (including Canvas pages) using HTML.  This was particularly sad because people wanted to embed guide articles into their own help pages. As far as our research can tell, this should now be possible in the new platform (although we have not had the opportunity to test this fully yet).

I have followed a lot of things in Jive. Will I have to recreate those notification preferences?

In Jive, when you followed other people, specific content items, or a place (such as a user group), you could get a notification when anything happened with what you were following.  So for example, if you followed a page and someone commented on it, you could get a notification sent according to your preferences. Unfortunately in Khoros all the people and content will migrate but the notification technology is sufficiently different that those notification preferences will not transfer over.

What about my groups? Will those still exist? 

In Jive we had user groups. In Khoros we will have “group hubs.” Most, but not all, groups from Jive will migrate to Khoros. For those groups that do not migrate, never fear, their content will be redistributed to other locations in Khoros.

Will the new community be accessible?

As we have configured our instance of Khoros, prior to launch we have made every effort to keep all of the content, navigation, and colors accessible for people who use screenreaders or otherwise interact in the community via assistive technology. In the future, should accessibility related issues come to light, we will work diligently with the platform provider to get them addressed.

Tags (2)
35 Comments
Adventurer

Hi scottd@instructure.com‌, is there a way to set up new notifications in the new community? Also, how will we know where we can locate groups? Is there a way to test out the new community before the launch date? Thanks!

Adventurer

Also, will article links stay the same?

Instructure
Instructure

HI jsowalsk@umd.edu - as per point 4: 
The goal is to migrate all the community-created content from old to new with redirects in place so all your bookmarks and direct links should still work.  :smileycool:

Looking forward to seeing the new platform scottd@instructure.com‌ and rcarney@instructure.com‌.

Learner II

Hi scottd@instructure.com

I cannot see any mention of gamification; leaderboards, badges, likes, feedback notifications etc in the FAQs. This, is one of the more rewarding (no pun intended) aspects of the Community site.

Will this continue in the new platform?

Adventurer

I know the content will migrate over -- but in particular, I want to know if there will be broken links or not to content since a lot of our documentation points to Canvas documentation.

Adventurer III

Hey Gideon,

Yes, gamification and the same general spirit will continue in the new platform.  Khoros doesn't have points per say but it does have levels and badges.  Our goal is to try to translate previous achievement in Jive into Khoros as best we can and then go forward using the new tool set.

Adventurer III

Hi Jessica,

No broken links is the goal.  All content that migrates over will have a redirect.  The guides will not migrate over directly as we push them into the community via a third party system.  What we will do instead is push a new set of guide articles into Khoros and then redirect over the old articles to their equivalents in the new platform.  For the end user the experience should be unbroken links.  The only real change is that existing comments on guide articles will not come over.

Adventurer III

Thanks Adam!  We are too.

Adventurer III

Hi Jessica,

With regards to finding groups that won't change a lot either.  You will be able to browse to them via global navigation or by using global search.

As far as previewing the site before we go live; unfortunately due to a confluence of events the timeline between when we get the staging server with all our edits and tweaks married up with a content migration and then going live with the switch over will be extremely tight.  At this time we cannot promise any sneak peeks or previews.

Adventurer

Great!

Adventurer

Ok, what about notifications how can we get these set up in the new system? scottd@instructure.com

Adventurer III

Hi Jessica,

In the terminology of Khoros you can subscribe to an article or to a knowledge base that contains articles.  If you want to learn more about the platform today, I'd recommend you check out their own community, which they named Atlas: Home - Atlas 

Adventurer

Thanks, scottd@instructure.com‌. So, this would ultimately mean we would need to redo our notifications right?

Adventurer III

You're quite welcome! Correct.  Notifications will not transfer.

Adventurer

Will there be instructions on how to create new notifications scottd@instructure.com‌?

Adventurer III

Hi Jessica,

Yes, eventually we will update the Canvas Community documentation to include workflows in the new platform.  That documentation will evolve as people use the new platform.

Adventurer

Great, thanks!

Learner II

That's good to hear and know. Thanks Scott

Learner II

scottd@instructure.com‌ - How exciting!! I have been a bit *distracted* since about mid-march and not very active over here, so I am just learning of this change. I am sure that this has been a monumental task for you and your team, but I know it's in excellent hands.

Can't wait to see the new awesome!

Adventurer III

Hello Sir!

Why, whatever could have been distracting you since about March???   Kidding of course.  Good to hear from you!

Yep, its been a lot of work for the team - having to figure out how to replicate the areas and workflows that people are accustomed to in the new platform is challenge enough in itself but they also have to correctly map and migrate tens of thousands of pieces of content and around three quarter million users.

Adventurer

In some groups like Instructional Designers, Teachers, etc., there is an option to create a blog post. Will blog posts continue to be available in groups in the Khoros community? That way, if someone discovers some tips and tricks, first looks, or even hidden gems, they can share them!

Community Member

Great question kelvin.dean97@gmail.com‌! We've been told that the content's moving over and links will remain valid and hopefully that will be for blog posts too. For those of us with blogs having those copy over too will be great.

Adventurer III

Hey Greg and Kelvin,

Yes, blog posts and comments will migrate over and that content will remain interactive.  I can't tell you at this point where exactly users will be able to contribute new content and where that won't be possible as we are still fine tuning.  However, I can tell you that the overall intent to allow the community to continue generating its own content remains unchanged.

Adventurer III

As a general update on launching the new community platform; as of this morning we made the decision to delay our go-live date by two weeks.  Targeting Aug 6th vs this Thursday will allow us time to resolved a few remaining significant hurdles with implementation and give more time for beta testing.  If you have questions about any of this please let us know.

Adventurer

In the beginning, you mentioned that a group of beta testers will begin testing the new platform (Khoros) on 7/23/2020. How do we sign up for the beta? Will there be a waitlist? I can't wait to see what's in store for the new community!

Adventurer

Thank you, scottd@instructure.com, for the update! So, just to confirm, there will be no broken links to content and/or there could be redirects to guides such as Catalog and Canvas? Also, for notifications, how can these be set up in the new platform? Lastly, will group leaders be provided any information on locating their group or need to do any changes for their group? Thanks!

Adventurer III

Hi Jessica,

All the answers to these questions up thread are still accurate.

Thanks

Adventurer III

Hey Kelvin,

Thank you for offering to help beta test.  We currently have a group of beta testers in place and will let you know if additional opportunities arise before we go live.

Adventurer III

Migration related post here.

Adventurer

Thanks Smiley Happy

Adventurer

scottd@instructure.com‌, will events that have already been created be affected?

Adventurer III

Hi Jessica,

All content in the community, including events will be migrated.  Not all content types in Jive have direct equivalents in Khoros so some content will change form but the events you have already created will come over and there will be a way to advertise future live synchronous offerings going forward.

Adventurer

Great, thanks!

Surveyor

I have a couple of questions...how do I ask them and go about getting an answer?  thx'

Community Member

I am very sad, because I have a deep and abiding love for Jive. 

</sarcasm>