Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Filters in Find Answers

Jump to solution

I'm not sure if this is intended/by design, but I noticed something strange when in the "Find Answers" area of this Community.  For example, if I look at this page, Find Answers: Unanswered Questions​ ... if I use the filter search, I see these options:

Filter1.jpg

If I choose "Sort by latest activity: newest first", then I get this set of filter options:  (actually, when I'm in Chrome, it's taking me to the "Sort by most same questions" view when that's not even an option for me to click on in this list, so I have to re-select "Sort by latest activity: newest first".)

Filter2.jpg

Why is there now a "Sort by most same questions" option here that wasn't available in the previous filter search?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Thank you for the thoughtful notes!  I went ahead and changed this for you!

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm guessing it's a byproduct of the new updates.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

scottd@instructure.com​ or rcarney@instructure.com​...

Any chance the default for "Find Answers" could be set to "Sort by latest activity: newest first"?  I find myself always sorting by that so the newest questions/newest activity is at the top of my list.

Highlighted

Morning chofer@morainepark.edu

When I click on Answers at the top of a page > All Questions > my screen loads to sort by latest activity: newest first.

Highlighted

Interesting...I've not used that button.  I've always clicked on the Unanswered Questions button...which is not sorting by the same criteria.

Highlighted

rcarney@instructure.com​, biray@instructure.com​, or scottd@instructure.com​...  is there a way to set the "default" view to "Sort by latest activity: newest first" if users click on the "Unanswered Questions" button on this page: Find Answers?

Highlighted

Yes.  Is this something the Community wants, or can you share your rationale?

Highlighted

I've not really seen an feedback from the Community...so this is just my personal opinion and experience.  On other discussion boards I visit often, it's usually the case where the title of the discussion topic is bolded and moved to the top of the discussion board...to indicate that it's either a brand new topic or there is new activity within that particular discussion.  When I click on the "Unanswered Questions" button, it appears to be sorted by "Sort by date created: newest first".  So, with that as the default, some of the question that have been posted most recently potentially fall further down the list.

Here's the view sorted by "date created: newest first"

NewestFirst.jpg

Here's the same list sorted by "latest activity: newest first"

NewestFirst2.jpg

Again...just my opinion...as it's easier for me to see what is brand new and has new activity right at the top.

Highlighted

Thank you for the thoughtful notes!  I went ahead and changed this for you!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks rcarney@instructure.com​.  I think there's something weird going on behind the scenes with that search filter, though.  After clicking on the "Unanswered Question", the sorting is still "off"...even though you've changed the default.  It's still ordering the topics similar to the first image I posted earlier today (August 7, August 5, August 4, August 13, etc.)  The default sort should be placing any topics with "Latest Activity" of August 13th at the very top.  As far as I can tell, although you'd changed it, the sort is filtering to "Sort by most same questions" (see my original posting above).  It's almost like I have to re-choose my filter to get it to display the view I really want.