cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Has anyone figured out how to bookmark content?

Jump to solution

I noticed when I click in the search box in the top right of the new community that there is a section for "bookmarked" content. Referring to the Jive documentation on bookmarking it would seem to indicate I should be able to bookmark any content I find here but I'm not seeing anything to "click Bookmark in the right menu."

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

The title of this discussion is a link. Select the title of this conversation, and you will open a different instance of this discussion and reveal a sidebar menu to the right. Bookmark is one of the menu options.

Now, your next question will be, "How do I find MY bookmarks?" Smiley Wink

Select inside the search text box (far upper right) to position the cursor for typing a search criteria. A dropdown menu appears. One of your many options will be to search your bookmarks. Another option will be to list your bookmarks.

Have you noticed this programming trend over the last few years? Let's play hide-n-seek with menus. I suppose this trend meets another programming value, which is more screen real estate and less "clutter." So, we learn the habit of looking for the invisible and hidden menus.

Don't faculty ask you, "How do I find Speedgrader in the Grade Book?"

:smileylaugh:

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

As far as I know you can't places, people or groups (you can follow them), but you CAN follow content - for example this discussion can be bookmarked or a Canvas guide could be bookmarked. Does that help?

Highlighted

Well, I'm aware I can use browser bookmarks and following (hence our connection Smiley Wink ) but I was hoping to take advantage of the community specific bookmarking feature as described in the help article link above. I'd be just a little more likely to click "Bookmark this Idea" on the right hand side of the page rather than add to my already enormous accumulation of browser bookmarks. Also I believe I'd be more likely to swing back around to these bookmarks if they were accessible in this section of the search drop-down:

Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 2.25.15 PM.png

Highlighted

Ah yes. I have to admit the only reason I knew the answer to that question was that I wanted to bookmark certain things - rather than follow them - as well and couldn't figure out how to do it. biray@instructure.com​ helped me at the time so maybe she can provide a better explanation than me.

Highlighted
Community Member

The title of this discussion is a link. Select the title of this conversation, and you will open a different instance of this discussion and reveal a sidebar menu to the right. Bookmark is one of the menu options.

Now, your next question will be, "How do I find MY bookmarks?" Smiley Wink

Select inside the search text box (far upper right) to position the cursor for typing a search criteria. A dropdown menu appears. One of your many options will be to search your bookmarks. Another option will be to list your bookmarks.

Have you noticed this programming trend over the last few years? Let's play hide-n-seek with menus. I suppose this trend meets another programming value, which is more screen real estate and less "clutter." So, we learn the habit of looking for the invisible and hidden menus.

Don't faculty ask you, "How do I find Speedgrader in the Grade Book?"

:smileylaugh:

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks thebert@dts.edu​, that sounded like it should work perfectly...but then I tried it out Smiley Sad. So at first I tried it with this question, just for testing and got no bookmark option, just the following:

Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 2.43.25 PM.png

So, then I thought, "Well, maybe you just can't bookmark your own stuff, because that could be pointless or redundant," so I tried it on another question. Still, no bookmark option in the right sidebar.

Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 2.42.03 PM.png

I did notice the RSS feed button, so I ​could​ add it to my RSS reader if I wanted, but I'd still like to figure out this bookmarking thing, if possible. Am I missing something / doing it wrong?

Highlighted
Highlighted

Wow thebert@dts.edu​, you've gone above and beyond! Thanks so much for taking the time to make this for me, unfortunately I am not getting any of those items in the my sidebar, but at least your video helped confirm that this is something to do with my account, rather than a community wide thing. I'll do some more research and see what I can figure out. Thanks again for all your help!

Highlighted

Hi Adam. This is strange. I'm sure there's a reason for this discrepancy. We're looking into it and hopefully we'll find an answer as to why, soon. In the meantime, if the bookmark function somehow re-appears, please let us know.

communityteam

Highlighted

Jive help describes Bookmarks and the sidebar menu as features of the individual content item.

Are you sure you’ve selected and navigated to the original content item?

Terry Hebert, ThM, DMin

Online & Distance Education

Dallas Theological Seminary

214-887-5326