hasti
Community Champion

How do I find out who is deleting my comments in the Canvas Communties and why?

Who has permission to remove other people's comments? What are the Community policies? Why aren't people notified that their contributions to the Canvas Community being removed?

25 Replies
kona
Coach Emeritus

@hasti , Here's the Community Guidelines - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1326 As for deleting - Community Managers can delete posts/comments anywhere in the Community, technically Canvas Coach's can delete things in certain areas of the Community, and I'm guessing that there are a few other group Managers (users who oversee groups in the Community) and Instructure employees who have the ability to delete as well. Yet, in general posts and comments aren't normally deleted/removed. Yes, there are some cases, but it's normally a comment made on the guides - these are deleted after they are addressed.

Could you be more specific as to where your deleted comments were posted (so what area of the Community and if you remember, which specific content item)? That might help us better track down what happened to your posts.

hasti
Community Champion

Comments (mine and others) deleted and thread locked:

Accessing beta and test environments? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/17290 

Moreover, my dashboard says that the author of a reply to me within one of the modified threads (who mentioned me by name) deleted his response but when I emailed him personally, he denied deleting it.

kona
Coach Emeritus

@hasti , the discussions you are referencing are in a Private group. That means you would want to talk to one of the group owners to see what's going on. To find out who to contact, go to the group and then click on People. On the left side of the page there should be a heading called "Owned by" and then at least 1 or more people listed. These are the people who would have the rights to delete someones post inside this group.

Hope this helps!

hasti
Community Champion

Thanks  @kona  that is very helpful. Interestingly enough, one of the people listed as an owner is the one who denied deleting their comment, indicated to me that they did not have the power to lock threads, and told me they had no idea who I should contact about my comments being deleted.

kona
Coach Emeritus

I'm double-checking that all group owners would have the ability to delete within their group.

hasti
Community Champion

Do I have to follow all of them in order to contact the owners of the group? Or is there another way I can ask them privately?

kona
Coach Emeritus

If you follow the person in the Community you should then be able to private message them; mouse over their name and a box should show up with the Follow and Message options. In addition, my guess is that they are from your school, so in theory you should be able to look them up in your school directory and contact them outside of the Community if you need to.

hasti
Community Champion

Thanks,  @kona  , I was hoping there was a way to contact them within Canvas, since it is directly related to a Canvas Community they (collectively) own. So, from your reply, there is no way to contact the owners of a Canvas Community within Canvas unless you go through the process of specifically following each and every one of them. Is my understanding correct?

kona
Coach Emeritus

This guide will probably do a better job of explaining this - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1325-how-do-i-send-direct-messages-to-people-in-the-communi... 

Also, I must apologize, I double-checked and apparently permissions (like to delete things) are set by person and not by role (ex: Group Owner). This makes things a little more complex because I'm not sure how to tell who may or may not be able to delete in your private group. I've got one of the Community Managers looking into this to see what we can find out. Sorry for the confusion!!

Hi  @hasti ‌

I would just like to point out, that the Canvas Community (hosted on Jive) is not the same as the Canvas LMS in which schools and/or districts have their own instance of Canvas. Because of this, there is no link between the Canvas Community and any instance of the Canvas LMS.

However, while you cannot contact them via Canvas, you can contact the via the Community. If you are concerned about confidentiality, you can direct message them in the Community.

Agent K

hasti
Community Champion

Thanks,  @kmeeusen  I realize now I was using Canvas and Canvas Community rather interchangeably.

All of this has to do with the Canvas Community (and a specific group in the Community that has removed my posts without warning or explanation). My understanding is that in order for me to direct message the owners of a Canvas Community group, I must follow each and every one of them. There is no other way for me to contact the owners of a Canvas Community group any other way within the Canvas Community infrastructure. Is my understanding not correct?

nr2522
Community Champion

Hi,  @hasti ‌.

Three of the group "owners" are employees at your school in

Division: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Department: ACADEMIC TECHNOLOGY
You could look them up at Directory – University of Wisconsin–Madison and email them directly. The fourth owner is your school's Customer Success Manager at Instructure. One of the three UWisc people may or may not be able or willing to provide his contact info.

hasti
Community Champion

I am well aware of how to look people up in my university. I also mentioned earlier that I have been in contact with one of the owners who is claiming complete ignorance and powerlessness regarding what is going on and says he has no idea who I should talk to about this.

I have also contacted the "Help" at WiscIT (the supposed support for Canvas in my university). They have yet to give me an answer to my question.

My question is about following is general. In a general situation, is there any way to contact the owners of a Community group within the Community infrastructure that does not involve having to follow all the owners?

kona
Coach Emeritus

Yes, it was just confirmed that you would need to follow them and they would need to follow you to send them a DM in the Canvas Community. Sorry for the confusion. I'm a Canvas Coach in the Community and I didn't realize that my account allows for a couple extra features that not everyone has.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @hasti ‌...

Since this conversation is mainly about things occurring here in the Canvas Community website rather than something in the Canvas LMS, I am going to move your question over to the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/community here in the Community.  If you are not yet following that group, you can use the link I've given and then click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of the screen.  The "Meta" group is where conversations about the Community website are housed.  I hope this is okay with you.

@Chris_Hofer ‌, I thought I did post it in the Meta Community Group (which I am a member of): I went to the Meta Community Group and clicked on the "Ask a Question" button on that page. Where did I post it?

Hi  @hasti ‌...

That is interesting.  It actually posted to the general "Find Answers" area here in the Community.  I just received a message from awilliams‌ where he tested the same thing, and although he did what you did (going to "Meta" first), it posted to the general "Find Answers" area.

Thanks for checking that. An idea how to post a question to the Meta Community Group?

For what it's worth - at the top of my browser on this page the breadcrumb indicates this is in the Meta Community Group and this has been showing up as an Unanswered Group Question on the Meta Community Group page ALL day.

@hasti , those buttons (Ask a Question and Start a Discussion) were misdirecting new posts to Find Answers‌. They're fixed now. Thanks to you and to  @Chris_Hofer ‌ and awilliams‌ for your troubleshooting on this.

hasti
Community Champion

Just an update: I was (eventually) able to get one of the owners of the group to acknowledge that my posts had been deleted by them and to explain why.

Whoa,  @hasti you actually encountered accountability in the flesh, so to speak!?!

That is getting to be a rare beast!

Glad you learned what happened, by who and why!

Agent K

hasti
Community Champion

Yeah,  @kmeeusen , I can be a persistent pain in the - uh - neck Smiley Wink

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and at my age I am not at all shy about squeaking like a squished hedgehog!

squeaking like a squished hedgehog

That made me chuckle and popped an interesting visual into my mind. 😉