Juneteenth 2020 Resource Share

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Bias. Racism. Awareness. Equity. Just a few of the many powerful words heard in recent conversations around the globe following weeks of protests and unrest that clearly demonstrate we all have work to do. These conversations can be difficult, even painful at times, but very necessary. As a Community, our role in these conversations is to create a respectful environment, encourage growth, and empower each individual by sharing resources for learning and discovery.

In 2016 Community Manager Biray Seitz featured a few Black History Month that were available in Commons. This list has grown over the years, and there’s room for more! Here's a more current collection.

Commons Content Title

License

Meaningful Inclusion | Special Olympics

CC Attr

Black History Month

Public Domain

Black History Month

Public Domain

Black History Research

Copyrighted

Lesson Plan Topic Black History Month

Copyrighted

I have a dream - Multi Modal Resource

CC Attr

African American Inventors

Public Domain

Racism Continued

Copyrighted

Really understanding racism

Copyrighted

Module 2: What is Race & Racism?

Copyrighted

Extra Resources to Help

Public Domain

Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion #1

CC Attr NC SA

EQUITY AND SOCIAL JUSTICE

Public Domain

ZTC + Equity + Pathways for Colorado

Copyrighted

CULTURAL COMPETENCY MODULE

Public Domain

Unintended Bias in the Language and Metaphors of Science

Copyrighted

1.02 Diversity

Public Domain

Privilege , Tolerance, & Diversity

CC Attr NC

Module 1- Incorporate Diverse Perspectives

Copyrighted

Conversations, like this one, have been sprinkled in our community! One in particular influenced a direct change in our Community as you know it! But there’s room for more change and a need for more educational material to help counter racism and hate.

Call To Action

We’re each responsible for owning change. Let’s start a conversation and collect the best resources and strategies for creating change and share them with one another.

• If you know of a resource that can be incorporated into a Canvas course, share it in the thread below! We’d love to have so many we need to manage a document to sort them all.
  • If you own a Canvas resource, share it to Commons and then cross-post as a comment below.
  • Start conversations about strategies and resources. Then cross-post as a comment below so people can find them easier!
3 Comments
Bobby2
Community Champion

@Renee_Carney  Thank You for initiating this. I wish I had gold to share here, but only have one offering - https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/apac/blog/2019/05/11/the-orb 

I will be making the most of your great list for a project I'm working on. Hope it's shareable - soon. 

spataroa
Community Novice

At the school I attend there is no bias, racism or problems, and we have students from all over the world.  Everyone is treated equally, fairly and justly.  We are a local global "mini community", all one and united.  I feel uncomfortable being told that I need to "do more work".  I have never harmed a person of a different race in my life.  

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @spataroa ,

I'm sorry if you felt at all singled out for criticism here.  That was the opposite of our intent with this post.  There has been an increased focus globally recently on how people can help combat racism and correct bias.  We have heard that a lot of folks wish they had more resources to draw from in this effort.  Our goal here is to hopefully help connect people who have what they feel are good resources to share with those that are seeking them.  We also know that there are many people who don't fall into either category and that is fine too!