cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Recommendations for Organizing Bookmarks, Followings, and Groups (Oh My!)

Good Morning Fellow Canvasphiles!

To be sure, there are a myriad of helpful, exciting resources available in our Community!  As a matter of fact, I "geek-out" and feel like a kid in a virtual candy-store!

Of course, this requires us to  determine how we better harvest these sweet-fruits, from this cornucopia of Canvas informational delights!

To the point then:

I would like to start an ongoing conversation about the various strategies, tactics, and techniques Canvas Community Members use to sort this available information into manageable, and digestible partitions.

In advance, thank you for being willing to share--not with just me, though I need the assistance--but the entire Community your sorting strategies!

Oh!  I almost forgot, if you think this discussion would provide increased value to currently un-reached members of the community would you be so kind as to share this out?  Who knows?  There may be other answers and considerations whereby we may further enhance our organizational skills and be of better service: to our local institutions, to Instructure, and most importantly--to all users everywhere!

Forgive me...I can feel the "geeking-out" coming on, as I anticipate your wonderful contributions!

Speaking, or writing about WONDERFUL, I hope your day would be just that!

15 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

tlampley@msjc.edu, greetings and welcome! My main hints/tricks are to...

1. Join some groups! They are a great way to find the niche areas that you are really interested or passionate about. Ex: Canvas Admin, Instructional Designers, HigherEd, Canvas Developers, etc...

2. Follow everything to your Inbox! For me at least it helps because I only have to check one place and I can see everything that is going on in all the groups, areas, etc that I'm interested in. This keeps the clicking around everywhere to a minimum because you only need to check one place! Yet, depending on how much you follow, you can end up with a HUGE number of things in your Inbox that you have to weed through. 

Hope this helps! Kona

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks for initiating this great discussion, tlampley@msjc.edu‌! I wanted to let you know that we've moved it to the Meta Community Group‌ which is where we discuss all-things-Community (as opposed to all-things-Canvas). If you're not yet a member of the Meta group, you can easily join by navigating to the home page for the group and selecting Join Group from the Actions dropdown at the upper right of the page.

Highlighted

Greetings Stefanie!

Whew!  Talk about better organization, Your to my rescue again Smiley Happy 

That always goes to show, there's always more to learn! 

I will most-definitely join Meta Community Group 

Appreciate you guiding me thru this!

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi Kona,

As always you deliver!  It does indeed help!

Thank you again! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Highlighted

We ran across a tiny snag, tlampley@msjc.edu‌, when trying to move this piece of content. So we "shared" it to the Meta group instead. Tip: Anyone who creates a piece of content here in the Canvas Community and then wants to broaden its exposure, as well as reach the experts in a particular area, can use the Share button at the upper right of their content to share it out to other groups to which they already belong.

Highlighted

Filing that Tip right now!

Thanks again Stefanie!

P.S. - I believe I misspelled your name in previous posts, and replies.  Please accept my regrets. I'll go back and edit if I can, and do it right moving forward - T.S.L.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hey there tlampley@msjc.edu and I echo kona@richland.edua's welcome to the Community.

It's great to see that you have discovered this treasure trove of goodness. 

As for being cunning with curating within the Community here's my $0.02 worth:

• follow and join those groups that take your fancy. Not only can you follow the goodness within but you can also participate in their offerings. If you don't belong to the group you can't add your valuable ideas. 
  • follow all the great blogs, discussions, questions etc that take your fancy. Then you can be informed when someone else adds their gold. 
  • I used to bookmark, but my Community Library of Bookmarks got waaaay too big. But for starters it's a great function. Now I feel better about using the search function and more confident about where to find things. 
  • It can be a bit of a spider's web for beginners. A few extra tips here https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/apac/blog/2018/10/06/the-community-spider-web 

Your enthusiasm for the Canvas Community echoes mine. Great to know that others are in this lolly-shop too. 

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Greetings bobby.pedersen@education.tas.gov.au Smiley Happy

Thank you for the warm welcome, AND the tips too!

I look forward to further connecting with you in our Community!

Have a SUPER Day!

Highlighted

I forgot to add tlampley@msjc.edu that by following people you can share community goodies with them and message them easily.