Stories, Insights and Reflections from 2018 in Tasmania

Bobby2
Community Champion

Now it’s time to take stock on the year that was in Tasmania – 2018.

We accomplished so much as individuals, as a blended learning team and as a state wide department.

Here are a few highlights from us:

• Canvas, our brand new Learning Management System (LMS), began in all state schools across the state. It replaced a rather clunky, under-utilised, and unloved LMS.
  • Our Blended Learning Leaders, a team of teachers, supported many schools K-12 across the state.
  • Our Blended Learning Leaders also supported a variety of projects and teams. These continue to grow as people see different potential and purposes for their use.
  • Our talented creative team created templates, courses, resources and gave wise advice to us new to the design game.
  • Our team presented live broadcasts to staff state wide on things blended and Canvas.
  • Canvas was used for state wide moderation and staff professional learning.
  • Remote schools were well supported by our team with visits and ongoing communication.
  • Solid relationships have been built with so many staff members within the Department across the whole state with regards to blending learning and using Canvas.
  • A whole lot of learning and fun happened - and continues to.

So grateful for:

What I'm still aiming for:

We can never lose sight, like I did those years ago, about what technology is. It’s a tool. It’s an amplifier. It is not the learning goal. The app, the tool, the device, is not the “game-changer.” What the students do with it for learning is.

https://www.thomascmurray.com/needtostop/  

303161_tas.jpg

12 Comments
kona
Community Champion

@Bobby2 , wow! That is an impressive list of accomplishments! You should feel very proud of your hard work over the last year!

Also, as much as I want you to be able to come to the US for InstructureCon, the image at the end of your post has changed my mind. We all need to come visit you!!! 🙂

Thanks for being such an awesome member of the Community!

Kona

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

I second Kona's WOW... you have a big-picture view of what's going on in your part of the Canvas world,  @Bobby2 ‌, and it is also so excited to feel connected to a Canvas world on the other side of the globe! 

I just wrote my post for the blogging challenge and I went the totally personal route, and you know I was thinking about you too. I would feel connected to you just from our shared interests in teaching and technology, but I feel so connected with you through our family stories this year too, and I am sending you big hugs... And like I said in the post, in-person is great (and maybe we will get to meet in person someday!), but virtual hugs are important too. And I am sending you lots of them!

Bobby2
Community Champion

We must have been writing at the same time. Cyber-snap. 

2018 and the Miracle Christmas  

We have to cook up a reason to get together. Face to face. Oh the mischief we will get up to laurakgibbs

Bobby2
Community Champion

@kona pop on down. The weather's great!

The picture is of Wineglass Bay. Great walk in. 

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Wow  @Bobby2  !

I mean, like WOW!

I mean.....................

I have always been very impressed with you, but now.................

Image result for Mind officially blown!

Kelley

Bobby2
Community Champion

Oh  @kmeeusen hucks. I'm sure we've all done amazing things that will blow minds. 

rconroy
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I always love hearing updates from your part of the world. ❤️ Congrats on your accomplishments this year. May they continue to be many! Seriously tho...

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Ummmm..... I took a 45 minute nap last weekend, and I actually remembered to wear pants today.

That's about as amazing as it gets in Kelley Land!

Bobby2
Community Champion

Pants is a good start  @kmeeusen 

303470_pants.jpg

Bobby2
Community Champion

It takes a team as you know Deactivated user.

So lucky to be part of a great one.

orwinr
Community Champion

I spent three weeks in your neck of the woods in November,  @Bobby2 ‌, staying with a friend in Hobart who is also heavily involved in the Tasmanian Canvas roll out. You might know her,  @janine_bowes ‌. I was impressed with what Janine told us while we were there.

We had a lovely time in Tassie, but didn't quite make it to Wineglass Bay. We spent a week on Cradle Mountain at a wildlife tourism conference and nearly a week on the Tasman Peninsula hiking a bunch of the trails. We really liked the hikes to Cape Raoul, Shipstearn Bluff and Tunnel Bay. Beautiful place that we will be returning to for a more serious backpacking trip. 

Bobby2
Community Champion

orwinr‌ you lucky think knowing our J9  @janine_bowes . Quite a gem!

I'm so pleased you got to enjoy some of our state as well as swapping some excellent Canvas chat. Gold star.