cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john_morris
Community Participant

What is Jive? (Probably 2 Questions Actually)

Jump to solution

I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose here... I started out just exploring the new "Canvas Community" and have spent the entire morning (Oops, it is no longer morning!) It looks like Jive is a third party application that hosts the community questions and discussions much like Canvas is a third party application that hosts the interface for my courses at my educational institution? But somehow, Zendesk, is different -- perhaps used by Canvas employees to track "service tickets" and for use internal to just Canvas? Out of curiosity on Jive, I clicked a download link that is now indexing my Outlook inbox and wants me to connect to Jive. It autopopulates with the link of this community (https://community.canvaslms.com/​), but gives an error, "Oops, I couldn't log you in automatically. To log in to Canvas Community you need to first log in to Canvas. We are unfortunately unable to automatically figure out the URL for your login page for you." But, I'm logged into Canvas Community because I'm leaving this message in Jive... so I don't know if I should be logging into my institutions domain instance (the one that got me here) or the Canvas at www.canvas.net? I've tried logging into both separately and together and still get the error.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@john_morris ​ I'm not an expert, but I do lovejive​ and was a beta tester.

To what I think was your first question, yes, Jive is a third party software Instructure is using to better facilitate communication and information sharing. Zendesk is actually going away and will be replaced by a completely different software and that will be the new help ticket system.

As for how to log into Jive, it is using your Institutions Canvas login, not your canvas.net login information. As for why your Institutions login information isn't working, I have no idea and will include Deactivated user​ on this to see if he can help.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@john_morris ​ I'm not an expert, but I do lovejive​ and was a beta tester.

To what I think was your first question, yes, Jive is a third party software Instructure is using to better facilitate communication and information sharing. Zendesk is actually going away and will be replaced by a completely different software and that will be the new help ticket system.

As for how to log into Jive, it is using your Institutions Canvas login, not your canvas.net login information. As for why your Institutions login information isn't working, I have no idea and will include Deactivated user​ on this to see if he can help.

View solution in original post

jordan
Community Champion

Thanks for pulling me in here  @kona ​

Hey John, and welcome to the new community! None of us here have experimented with adding the Outlook plugin so I don't have any direction on that for you. But Kona is correct about using your institution account to login to the community and not Canvas.net account.

The best way to test your login creds is to do the following:

1. Log out of canvas and Jive altogether (or open an incognito or new browser window which retains no cache or cookies).
  2. Login to your institution using your Canvas credentials.
  3. Visit http://community.canvaslms.com
  4. Select your institution url from the list provided (if asked)
  5. You should be in!

Ping me if that doesn't work John! Happy weekend!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks Deactivated user​!

john_morris
Community Participant

Hi Deactivated user​, I followed your instructions and ran into the same error.

2015-04-21_0902.png

When navigating to the Community (step 3), I did not find any institutions listed, just the "Find Answers, Share Ideas, Join Groups" welcome page that is normally there -- it looks the same whether I am logged in or not. I tried typing my university into the search box anyway but only found people, no places. Not finding anything in the Community, I tried my university's URL in the Jive dialogue box and got a slightly different error, but same results.

2015-04-21_0904.png

Thoughts?

Hi John,

Could you clarify for me whether your end goal here is just to get into the community, search for information, connect with other users to ask questions, etc, or are you trying to connect Outlook directly to Jive?  If your goal is to get email messages, updating you on what is happening in the community (for example when someone replies to a post you have made) you probably want to do that via your notification settings in Jive where you can specify what sorts of notification you wish to receive.

john_morris
Community Participant

I've already discovered the notification settings and am receiving email notifications to my inbox. (The volume has gotten rather heavy and I am considering switching to the stream option instead.) Originally, my purpose was simply to understand whether or not I could get value from using the connector app, I found the description in the tools area to be too vague to understand. So, I downloaded it to play with it. But the only thing that seems to have changed is my Outlook preview header looks like this:

Jive.png

... and I'm trying to decide whether I should uninstall the plugin. The additional header with a warning that I'm not connected adds zero value. I've persisted mostly out of curiosity and will likely uninstall unless I can find some reason for the apparent "bloatware". Can you describe: 1) what I will get if I'm successful at making it work and 2) how to configure the connection?

jordan
Community Champion

Hey John! I don't think anyone internally at Instructure has played with the Outlook connector, but here's some unqualified feedback 😉

Check out the full documentation on the value you could receive from using it: Jive for Outlook Module

I think it really depends on how active you would like to be in the community. If you just want to come here to find an occasional answer to a question then the Outlook plugin might not be worth keeping. If you want to delve into the community, follow content, and really connect and collaborate with others, then it could definitely be of value, I think!

This summary from their documentation is great! (value proposition)

With Jive for Outlook you can:

• See activity streams and social profiles, and create threaded discussions and status updates.
  • Turn email threads and document attachments into collaborative posts in Jive.
  • Reply to comments, and include @mentions of people, places, and information.
  • Like, share, and more without having to leave Outlook
  • Get an instant social snapshots of the people you collaborate with.
  • Search across Jive & Outlook to find emails, appointments, attachments, documents and discussions from one, quick search.

... and do it all from Outlook.

This is super timely info for me, Deactivated user​. I was looking at the Tools page in Jive last night and came across Jive for Outlook. My inbox notifications stream is becoming overwhelming, and what's described above just might help me manage that. Thanks!

john_morris
Community Participant

stefaniesanders​, if your issue is a cluttered Outlook inbox, an alternative to installing Jive is also available in the community (go to your profile > preferences) by setting your notifications as a "community digest". I set mine to send a daily digest and it instantly uncluttered my inbox. That allows me to "batch" my work with Canvas Community so that I'm not missing anything but also not constantly distracted by incoming alerts. You can set options of whether to send some things directly (like items you may be moderating) and to include the body of the content in the message or just a headline.