cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Why can't I comment on a blog post?

Jump to solution

Why can't I comment on this post?  I'm logged in and can see my face in the top right corner.  Do I need to "join the blogging community"?  Do I just not have participation privileges there?  Is the thread too old?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer III

yoder@msoe.edu 

I can think of three things to consider.

1. Sometimes you need to be a member of a group where the blog was posted in order to comment. Are you a member of the Canvas Developers‌ group? Normally you get a warning message when you try.
  2. The author of the post can restrict comments. This is rarely done.
       354189_pastedImage_1.png
  3. You may be able to start writing a comment but then it won't let you post at the end. It gives you an unauthorized error (I think). The author may be editing the post at that point or the original post has been deleted. This is more common when you're replying to a reply from someone -- I run into it the Community when someone asks a question and then while I'm responding, they edit the question.

It may be something else. Do you have the "Add a comment" button but you can't use it? is it not there at all? can you start to comment but then not post at the end? were you trying to comment on the original post or to someone's reply?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer III

yoder@msoe.edu 

I can think of three things to consider.

1. Sometimes you need to be a member of a group where the blog was posted in order to comment. Are you a member of the Canvas Developers‌ group? Normally you get a warning message when you try.
  2. The author of the post can restrict comments. This is rarely done.
       354189_pastedImage_1.png
  3. You may be able to start writing a comment but then it won't let you post at the end. It gives you an unauthorized error (I think). The author may be editing the post at that point or the original post has been deleted. This is more common when you're replying to a reply from someone -- I run into it the Community when someone asks a question and then while I'm responding, they edit the question.

It may be something else. Do you have the "Add a comment" button but you can't use it? is it not there at all? can you start to comment but then not post at the end? were you trying to comment on the original post or to someone's reply?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I am not, to my knowledge, a member of the Canvas Developers group.  How do I join? I'm going to see if I can request membership now...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Sweet -- I am now a member of the Canvas Developer's group -- and can post comments! Thanks for your help! (By the way, on Stack Overflow, "thank you" remarks are discouraged as being verbose. Is that true here, too?)

Highlighted
Adventurer III

This community is much more verbose than S.O., where it tends to focus on getting the right answer to the top and cutting out all the fluff.

There are likes and helpful links and there are even ways to give badges -- there are only four and one of them is a "Thank You". We're changing software sometime soon (supposedly August 6) and I don't know how the new software will work, but for now, letting people know that they helped is welcomed.