cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
irishb
Community Contributor

Why is the Canvas mascot a panda, please?

Jump to solution

We're curious and haven't been able to find this information in the Canvas community

- thank you in advance for your help with this. : )

Bridget

The Evergreen State College

Olympia WA

School Mascot: Speedy the Geoduck

It’s Speedy the Geoduck | The Evergreen State College

Origins of the Evergreen Geoduck mascot - YouTube

22 Replies
lse224
Community Champion

This totally isn't an answer, but it's the National Zoo's Panda Cam!

I've had an eye on it today after I saw that the baby climbed a tree this morning. He's been napping for hours. Apparently it wore him out.

bgibson
Community Champion

Because "Puppy Monkey Baby" was already taken;-)  Although "Panda Monkey Baby" might work.

Gosh, "Panda Monkey Baby" would have to be cuter than "Puppy Monkey Baby." Come to think of it, anything would be cuter than "Puppy Monkey Baby."

sweetera
Community Participant

Rumors & Speculation:

I heard it like this: Back when Instructure Canvas was the newcomer to LMS Systems, disrupting the complacent and none-too-user-friendly big boys like--ahem-- BlackSomething and SomethingChalk, the combination of those two colors was black and white.  So Canvas picked the cutest, most loved, cherished, endangered, and recognizable symbol to love: Panda.

The Unicycle:  Who knows?!

If that's not the truth, it should be.  Smiley Happy

Jeff_F
Community Champion

You asked for it...  Unicycles & cute...

0013729e48090f4e8f900e.jpg

PANDAS.jpg

bbelew
Community Contributor

Honey Badger would be a suitable replacement as well.

irishb
Community Contributor

Ha, thank you stefaniesanders​ - that's certainly the closest we've come to an answer. : )

Best wishes,

Bridget

You're welcome, irishb​. Thank you for starting this entertaining conversation!

Panda is/was actually a paper mache Panda.  I'm not sure where he is these days but he used to sit in engineering in the old building.

mdthomas
Community Contributor

stefaniesanders‌ so now that Instructure changed their site, is there any where else we can find "In the Beginning"?