cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sara_munzinger
Community Participant

Will a new designer guide be released anytime?

Jump to solution

It looks like the old Canvas documentation included a "Designer Guide" ( Canvas Designer Guide | Canvas Guides ), but I don't see one in the new community.  Will that guide be transferred over as well?  Or will it disappear?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Anyone who is familiar with the Designer Guide in the old canvas guides/community probably noticed that it differed in format and content from the rest of the guides.  The Doc team works very hard to keep the Canvas guides very simple and clear and have each article be specific to how one can complete on specific task in Canvas.  Over time there is pressure for them to add in lots of caveats and qualifiers and extra info that would, taken individually, be helpful but as a whole make the guides harder to use.

The Designer Guide didn't follow that mold.  It contained a lot of topics that weren't necessarily about how to do things in Canvas with information more generally applicable to course design.  Oftentimes information that we needed to shoe horn into the guides for lack of a better place to put it ended up in the Designer Guide.  Now that we have a new platform with many new options for how to organize and store content, we decided to do away with the designer guide and a part of the Canvas Guides.  The thinking being that we now have Canvas Resources​ and Instructional Designers​ as more appropriate locations.

I'm curious to know if anyone out there thinks we are losing anything valuable that isn't coming across from the old guide?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@scottdennis ​, I did some poking around and I don't see the Designer Guides in the new community either. Do you know where we can find them or if they're going to be added to the new community at some point? Thanks!

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Anyone who is familiar with the Designer Guide in the old canvas guides/community probably noticed that it differed in format and content from the rest of the guides.  The Doc team works very hard to keep the Canvas guides very simple and clear and have each article be specific to how one can complete on specific task in Canvas.  Over time there is pressure for them to add in lots of caveats and qualifiers and extra info that would, taken individually, be helpful but as a whole make the guides harder to use.

The Designer Guide didn't follow that mold.  It contained a lot of topics that weren't necessarily about how to do things in Canvas with information more generally applicable to course design.  Oftentimes information that we needed to shoe horn into the guides for lack of a better place to put it ended up in the Designer Guide.  Now that we have a new platform with many new options for how to organize and store content, we decided to do away with the designer guide and a part of the Canvas Guides.  The thinking being that we now have Canvas Resources​ and Instructional Designers​ as more appropriate locations.

I'm curious to know if anyone out there thinks we are losing anything valuable that isn't coming across from the old guide?

View solution in original post

I'm not sure.  We directed people to it previously, but now we're updating our links to direct people to resources in the new community. 

Hi Sara,

Seeing as you are familiar with the old guide, if you think we have let anything important slide through the cracks during the move to the new platform, please let us know.