cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gamification functionality

Gamification functionality

Hi all,

I wanted to trial gamification, read up those great resources, thought, "Yes, I can do some real social engineering here, increase engagement, focus them on what's really important, give them some motivational rewards for doing work outside of the classroom, I'll have 100% retention and success, and I'll lead all of my colleagues into the promised land!"

Well, that was some of my thoughts, but the reality fell far short, and so I thought I would suggest some additional functionality in Canvas to make it the 'go-to' for gamifying classrooms.

Just before I list the things I wanted to do, I must say that I've looked at a couple of other platforms that might help, but I'm not seeing any better options, in terms of integrating with open badges and automatically awarding them, so here goes, if Canvas wants to grab this it may be groundbreaking. Or if someone can suggest a way to implement, please do so!

I'd like to reward certain behaviours, but not when the students have done them just once, but when they've done them x times. For example, "I asked for help" (encouraging calling for help before drowning, not once already drowned and the course is two days from ending). Let's say, ask 4 times and you get the badge.

Obviously, I want each help request to be recorded at the time, and preferably in Canvas, not privately.

How about a type of, say, discussion, which automatically allocates, x points to a contribution, and keeps score of the total points earned by each person? Oh, and this is separate from summative assessment.

How about being able to a) count and b) sum scores from each attempt at a formative test? I use pools extensively, and so I set up formative tests from the same pools that will be used in the summative test. That way, they see the 'actual' test, some of the 'actual' questions, but hopefully not all of them, just enough to get a feel for whether they have mastered that topic or not. So I allow them to have unlimited attempts at the formatives, and would like to reward them (motivate them), so that they use that option to the full. Hence, awarding them a 'hard worker' badge if they've done x formative tests, a 'smart worker' badge if they've got at least x total points from all formatives, and possibly even an 'aced it' badge for getting full marks in a formative x times.

Sorry if this is a problem for the programmers, but I'm wanting to take my gamification beyond a clunky recording mechanism, and into the future. Hope there's someone who can help me!

Thanks,

Michael

For reference, the attached is my 'dream list' for what I could do with gamification points. Hope it's not a nightmare for implementation  Smiley Happy.

Attachments
Comments

The only place on Canvas that I have seen rewards for repeatedly doing a task is through Outcomes and setting the Calculation Method as (achieved) after n number of times eg

311547_pastedImage_1.png

I guess you could create an Outcome with just a 1 point scale, select Mastery (ie achievement) of that outcome an ensure it happens 4 times.

The more challenging aspect (for you) would be how to record it in a way that is not clunky...

Hi deltastar.academy@gmail.com‌ good on you for wanting to gamify the learning with your students.

This group might offer you some help Badgr Users Group.

Here is one idea using Bagr https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/gamification/blog/2018/01/09/mastery-paths-with-badgr 

Hope these help.

Great call!

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for that, I’ve joined the group, and I’m following. It looks ideal, as a few of the comments I’ve seen already are relevant to Canvas.

Looks like I’ll ‘see’ you in there over the next while,

Regards,

Michael Thompson M.Prof.Studies Data Science

09 975 4678

Senior Lecturer, School of Digital Technologies

Manukau Campus

Personal profile: https://www.manukau.ac.nz/about/faculties-schools/business-and-information-technology/more-informati...

Thanks Gideon,

Thankfully, I’m working late, so as long as I can keep from getting distracted, I’ll spend some time following through. I tried Outcomes a while ago for matching to Learning Outcomes, but (IF my memory serves me well), I don’t think I saw much help in it.

I’ll check out your advice, see if it will give me what I need. I’ve got a clunky way, but it relies on the honesty of my students (not too worried about that) and my good organisation (bit worried about that!).

Regards,

09 975 4678

Manukau Campus

Personal profile: https://www.manukau.ac.nz/about/faculties-schools/business-and-information-technology/more-informati...

Also, courtesy of my Twitter following, I came across Google Glide which claims to allow you to create web apps based on Google spreadsheets. One of the templates I saw had a points feature....

Not Canvas of course but Canvas also has a gradebook which could be exported/copied and pasted across...

Thanks Gideon,

I’m trying to keep the gamification points separate from the marks for passing the course, which I think is where Outcomes will take me (please correct me if I’m wrong, I’ll have another look).

I’m currently checking out Glide, it looks promising, and a nice ‘techy’ addition to our course (a part of our Digital Technologies family of courses). Thanks for the pointer in that direction,

Regards,

09 975 4678

Manukau Campus

:O)

Be good to have chat sometime on your progress and share some ideas/stuff.... Maybe get a group of us together for a Hangout or something like that.

Don't work too late!

Gideon

I guess you could set the On Paper Assignment to not count in the Gradebook and also assign it to a different group eg 

311582_pastedImage_2.png

and...

311575_pastedImage_1.png

I wonder what the No Submission option does?

Update on what No Submission means - https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/34122-what-does-no-submission-mean

This looks promising ...

Haha. I have a young family, so sometimes I help get the day started. My 7 hours then starts about 1 pm ☹

I can do online meetings to suit, but living in New Zealand timing may be difficult. Whereabouts are you?

Regards,

09 975 4678

Manukau Campus

Netherlands so 10hrs behind. So possibly the start of the day 7.30-8.30am (5.30-6.30pm for you) or happy to do 10.00-11.00pm (8.00-9.00am). 

Great, 5:30-6:30 pm NZT works well for me – traffic is solid until then, so I’m here at that time every work day.

Regards,

09 975 4678

Manukau Campus

I'll give you some time to have a play and discover more stuff and then we can chat? 

Yes please, that would be good.

It’s not looking very promising right now, I’ve got a little more time to be ready for the start of our next courses, so will have to soft pedal, but I’ll see what I can do.

We have programming project students here (for our department), and it may be a question of getting one of them to develop an app. I’d like something easy for a student using a mobile to click a limited choice of buttons, then enter a few details about what they’ve just done towards a badge. If that data fed back to a Google doc, I could then farm the results into Canvas, or maybe even have it interact directly (perhaps a bit beyond what could be accomplished in a project).

I’ll try and keep it moving, but as I say, running out of time. Maybe this quarter will be quieter, I’m ‘only’ teaching two courses, not like first quarter, I taught three. ☹ Got extra pay for it though!

Regards,

09 975 4678

Manukau Campus

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎04-29-2019 09:38 PM
Updated by: