cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Points

Total Points

I'm very interested in adding a gaming layer to my course.  I've looked into grading schema for leveling and love the tip's that I've found.  I do have a question, though.  Is there a way to set my total number of points for the course without entering assignments?  Example, to make it more like xp in a gaming atmosphere, I plan on having 10,000 points in my course. However, I'm probably not going to have all of my assignments entered by the beginning of the year.  Is there a way that I can enter that the total number of points for the course is 10,000 but not have my assignments entered?

Comments

Have you seen jamely@aggiemail.usu.edu​'s post on Volunteers needed for "Modify Canvas to use Experience Points" Canvas course?​ You might want to reach out to her and get some of her feedback. She's been more-than-dabbling in this area quite a lot, actually. Smiley Happy

My best suggestion would be to make a dummy 10,000 point assignment, and pre-grade it as a 0 for all of your students (also, tell your students that is what it is for, or they might freak). Then, for each set of assignments that you add in, remember to remove that many points from the 10,000 amount.

This is a work around, but I did end up doing something pretty similar in my last class. I added in a dummy assignment of the amount of point that I needed on top of what was already being totaled, so that I could get up to 3000 points.

You are more than welcome to run through the module that I setup that biray@instructure.com is referring to, it might give you some other ideas on how to work with points;p

Hello vivat.bangurashanks@knoxschools.org​...

It has been over two months since you first posted this question to the Canvas Community, and I wanted to check in with you.  Did either of the replies from biray@instructure.com​ or jamely@aggiemail.usu.edu​ help answer your questions?  Also, with the recent addition of "Do not count this assignment towards the final grade" option for Assignments, I wonder if you could do something similar to what Janell suggests above...but just use this new option instead of having to remove "x" amount of points from the 10,000 amount.

Please come back to this posting to let us know if there are additional questions or if you've found a solution (and what that solution was).  Thanks Vivat!

Hello there, vivat.bangurashanks@knoxschools.org...

I wanted to check in with you again because we've not yet heard back from you since you first posted this question on June 12, 2016.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've received from biray@instructure.com and jamely@aggiemail.usu.edu?  Also, I'm not sure if you've been back here in the Canvas Community much, but there was a recent posting by dchilders@prcc.edu called MY GAMEIFIED CLASS: A STEP BY STEP GUIDE which you might be interested in reading through.  If you could please come back to provide an update for us, that would be helpful. Thanks!

Sorry that I haven't replied.  Using canvas for this didn't work well.  I did figure out how to change the schema but the point issue didn't work well.  For this reason, I've just changed the point system on our school's grading program.  It works very well.  If anyone else has a good way to use canvas, I'd love to hear it

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎06-12-2016 01:30 PM
Updated by: