cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsweeney2
Community Participant

Confusing error messages

While trying to get this to work in Postman before the meeting earlier I was sent on some tangents by the error messages provided in some circumstances.

For example, when I was trying to get a list of tables (I now know the endpoint isn't ready) I assumed it would be a GET request. However, the error that was returned said that my JWT token was malformed. I realise it's a knucklehead mistake on my part, but it was frustrating for a while.

Another example was when I entered the wrong endpoint. In the documentation for the authorization if you hit the dropdown on the example on the right the url provided is:

https://data-access-platform.example.com/api

This returns a 403, with a "Missing Authentication Token" message. This should be a 404.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dsweeney2
Community Participant

Addendum: the url provided is .../api/auth
0 Kudos
Edina_Tipter
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @dsweeney2 , Thank you for your feedback. I have added a work item for the team to adjust these error messages but for now you might still get such until we can address them.

In the meantime, if you wanted to try importing the OpenAPI spec into Postman, then some (not all) of these issues can potentially be avoided.

0 Kudos