cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Import student images from external source to profiles

Jump to solution

Hello,

We are looking to do some custom work that would pull student images from our ID card system and import them into profiles automatically. We do have a way to match on SIS ID value as it matches the ID in the card system. I am curious to know if anyone has accomplished this task already and might have a starting point? Many thanks in advance.

/shane

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

There are a few sample python scripts in Github for doing this.

canvas-contrib/API_Examples/bulk_assign_avatars at master · GitHub

One of the scripts set the image to an external URL. The other actually uploads the image to Canvas.    

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Surveyor

We hired professional services to create a similar customization that would import our campus ID photos for students, faculty and staff. The photos were named using the SIS name for the individual and loaded as the default image for each user. I ran across the code for our customization on Github at one point but lost the link. We also had them create a photo roster using the ID photos.

Thank you. If you ever run across the code, please let me know.

Community Member

Do you have a url for the image or is it stored locally on a machine?

I am still waiting to find out how they are stored. We had another product pull them in recently, so I am working to figure out who that contact is to garner more info.

If you can get them on a content server, even if it is just google drive in a public folder (even just temporarily), you can easily do that with the API. When you find out let me know and I will share with you what I have.

There are a few sample python scripts in Github for doing this.

canvas-contrib/API_Examples/bulk_assign_avatars at master · GitHub

One of the scripts set the image to an external URL. The other actually uploads the image to Canvas.    

View solution in original post

Perfect, thank you Kevin.