Quiz Item and Outcome Uploads from a Google Sheet

bbennett2
Community Champion

I've been working on an easier way for teachers to upload Quiz Items and Outcomes from a Google Sheet. The template sheet uses Google Apps Script and a user's personal API key to interact with their courses.

Quizzes

Teachers frequently write tests and quizzes together. This mechanism allows teachers to write and upload dozens of questions easily from a Google Sheet.

Screenshot of the template spreadsheet

The Canvas API only allows questions to be uploaded to an existing Quiz resource. Teachers can select the appropriate course and quiz dynamically using the popup.

Quiz uploader sidebar with dynamic course and quiz selection boxesOnce a quiz resource has been selected, users can define the number of items to upload. The spreadsheet marks an item as successful and updates the next row to be uploaded so questions are not duplicated on subsequent runs.

Considerations

• All questions uploaded are stored in the "Unnamed bank" question bank.
  • The "Topic" and "Primary Standard Indicator" fields are used to title questions for easy bulk sorting in the Canvas UI.

Updates to come

• Error messages are...opaque. Often a failure results in "the resource does not exist," meaning the user hasn't selected a course or quiz.
  • Questions are not batched right now, so uploading too many questions can lead to a script timeout.

Outcomes

The Outcomes API is difficult to use. I know there are CSV imports now, but it is sometimes helpful to upload Outcomes as they're written rather than generating a CSV over and over.

Outcomes have to go into an Outcome Group. If there are no groups defined in the course, the course name is used as a top-level group.

The template spreadsheet is similar to the quiz template, with specific fields being defined for the upload to run successfully. There is a helper sheet where users can define different rubric scoring ranges for each upload.

Outcome upload template in a Google Sheet

Rubric template for uploading Outcomes

The Outcome upload sidebar is similar to the Quiz Item sidebar. Because new outcomes must be attached to a group, a dynamic list of codes and group titles are generated when the user selects their course.

Outcome group codes displayed dynamically on course selection

Considerations

• Outcome uploads are done to the course, not to the user's account. This allows them to bulk-modify outcomes semester to semester as they update their courses.

Updates to come

• Improve error messaging
  • Pull all existing outcomes and their status into a sheet for proofing and updating.

I have a template project you can copy. You can also see the entire source on GitHub if you'd like to take a look or contribute. My plans are to eventually convert this to an AddOn for easier distribution and use.

7 Comments
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bbennett2  Awesome! This is a great contribution to the Canvas Community and something that has been missing from Canvas: batch upload of questions using a simple text editor. It was one of the few things Canvas was missing when I first started using it 3 years ago, and with your excellent work it can now be done.

The embedded video is a recording of the steps I took:

1. Select the link to your template to make a copy in my Google Drive
  2. Select the link "Setup" from the (newly added) Canvas Assessment Manager menu in my copy of your Google Sheet
  3. Select the button "Continue" on the Sign in dialog
  4. Choose my account in the Sign in dialog and select the link "Advanced" following the warning This app isn't verified
  5. Select the link "Go to Canvas Quiz Uploader (unsafe)" following the warning This app isn't verified
  6. Select the button "Allow" in the Sign in dialog
  7. Paste my API key and type or paste my Canvas URLs in the Connect to Canvas dialog and select Save Settings
  8. In Canvas, create a new quiz "Canvas Assessment Manager BETA - Pact-12 Mascots" and save it
  9. In the Google Sheet, select "Canvas Quiz Uploader" from the Canvas Assessment Manager menu (there are already questions and answers on the QuizTemplate tab)
  10. In the Canvas Quiz Uploader panel, select the course and quiz, type the number of questions on the sheet, and select the button "Run"
  11. In Canvas, confirm the questions and correct answers in the quiz
  12. Confirm the questions and correct answers in the Unfiled Questions question bank

I am excited about using this in my classes, sharing with my fellow faculty, and the future development of your project. Thank you!

Please note: This is a silent video.

bbennett2
Community Champion

Thanjs Gregory.

The "unsafe source" warning is from Google and I just need to submit it to

the developers console. I need to go back and add that note to the docs so

people don't worry. It'll also go away when I convert it to an add-on.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018, 4:40 AM professorbeyrer@gmail.com <

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

I really like this tool. I have been looking at a way to use Google Sheets more and this will help.

mn623
Community Novice

@bbennett2 Hello! Thank you for sharing a great tool! This is very helpful. When I try to upload the contents to a  quiz, I don't see the quiz that I want to use under the "Select a Quiz" drop-down menu. It seems that it reads the top 10 quizzes in "Assignment Quizzes". Is there any way to show more quizzes in Canvas Quiz Uploader or change the quiz order in "Assignment Quizzes" in Canvas?

Thank you!

bbennett2
Community Champion

@mn623 Oof, this is old.

Honestly, I haven't used it much lately because it's easier to sort the unfiled questions we already have in Canvas.

I made an adjustment to this new template that will fix that problem. I haven't tested it for uploads recently (it should be fine, though). Maybe start with small batches, just to be safe 🙂

mn623
Community Novice

@bbennett2 Thank you so much!! It worked.

>Honestly, I haven't used it much lately because it's easier to sort the unfiled questions we already have in Canvas.

I am curious how you use unfiled questions instead of this!

bbennett2
Community Champion

@mn623 

In your Quiz > Manage Question Banks page, any question you've written right on to a Classic Quiz (not New Quizzes yet) will go into a bank called Unfiled Questions. That's how the uploader works, too.

Our staff are working much more collaboratively now, so they're creating shared question banks and moving items from their course into the shared bank. They're not really uploading from scratch anymore, moving slowly into maintenance mode on banks across courses.