cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Term grades from API

Jump to solution

We have terms enabled in our instance to divide each semester in half.  We'd like to be able to pull the current grade, term 1 grade, and term 2 grade if/when relevant.  Using the current API enrollments call I only see 'current' and 'final grade'.  Does anyone know of a way to get at the term 1 or term 2 grades only?  Is this a separate call or perhaps not yet possible?  Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Surveyor II

lucas.ames@globalonlineacademy.org‌ make sure you understand the difference between "Current Grade" and "Final Grade"

This post might help:

The "List Enrollments" API call allows you to pass a parameter for "grading_period_id"

Take a look at the documentation to see specific details:

muh@udel.edu‌ seems to have the same thought, let us know if you get the info you are looking for.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Surveyor

I am not quite understand your question, so I will just try my best to answer it. Instead of creating multiple terms, you could create multiple grading period to differentiate students' grades by date. You may refer to this post for how it works (How do I use grading periods in a course? ). 

My question isn't about setting up terms or grading periods it's about accessing that data via API.

After creating the grading periods, it is just a matter of calling enrollments API.

Sorry, I've perhaps confused others and myself because we call our grading periods "Terms", term 1, term 2, etc.  We have those set-up in the admin portion of our Canvas instance currently.  However, when I call the enrollments API I only get current_score and final_score returned.  I do not get anything for the grading periods that I set-up.

The basic call looks something like this....

https://XXX.instructure.com/api/v1/users/XXX/enrollments?access_token=XXX 

Surveyor II

lucas.ames@globalonlineacademy.org‌ make sure you understand the difference between "Current Grade" and "Final Grade"

This post might help:

The "List Enrollments" API call allows you to pass a parameter for "grading_period_id"

Take a look at the documentation to see specific details:

muh@udel.edu‌ seems to have the same thought, let us know if you get the info you are looking for.

View solution in original post

Bingo, this hits it directly on the head for us.  Thanks all.

lucas.ames@globalonlineacademy.org thank you for following up to confirm, I'm sure this will help others.