cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wendy-riggs
Community Member

HTML tabs break in new discussions

Oh! I'm excited about many of the updates to the discussion tool. However, it appears I am unable to use TABS in the new tool. Is this by design? An oversight? 

I am an instructor and unfortunately, I spent all last semester updating my discussion assignments to include TABS. Please tell me I'm missing something...

Just to check, I toggled between New Discussions and the old (with no other changes). the tabs showed up fine with old discussions...and broke with new.

Old discussion tool: 

Old discussion tabs.png

New discussion tool: 

New discussion no tabs.png

My fingers are crossed...thank you!

13 Replies
ilovell
Community Contributor

Tabs are not working for us either if the discussions redesign is turned on for discussions. It is almost like the right-hand side is preventing scaling.

I just panicked a bit because I recently figured out how to make accordions that work in mobile because tabs do not. Hopefully attached image of my testing. Accordions still do work but, the <div> doesn't seem to span across the content window with redesign on but, does scale across with resdesign with off.

I saw there were some issues with announcements not displaying the file attachments with the resdesign turned on (it doesn't work for us either). I did a test with redesign on in announcements and tabs no longer work and accordions no longer fit to window there either.

0 Kudos
tom_gibbons
Community Contributor

Those tabs were part of the old UI, if I'm not mistaken. They were deprecated a few years ago when they shifted to React/InstUI. You can still use them, but they aren't being maintained. 

0 Kudos
Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

That's exactly right @tom_gibbons, we are replacing this codebase with React/InstUI and are not maintaining that former functionality. 

@wendy-riggs and @ilovell, we will explore the tabs and accordion use case. I'll reach back out when we start the discovery phase. Rest assured that we are not forcing adoption of Discussion Redesign for a while so you will still be able to use your tabs in current discussions.

The issues with Announcements will be resolved in the coming weeks as well.

Best, Katrina

cgaudreau
Community Contributor

@Katrina-Hess - Regarding React/InstUI: There are so many great design elements within Instructure UI , but creating an LTI from scratch is nigh impossible within the time constraints and the high learning curve for my team.

Do you anticipate the React/InstUI elements being added directly into the Rich Content Editor and an updated style guide being available, or are we still straddling that middle ground for the time being? (Sorry to post here, but questions in other forums and through my now ex-Customer Success Manager hit brick walls along the way.)

I second this question. I'd really prefer to keep my courses engaging and as close to Web 2.0 as possible for students. Static pages are pretty useless for me. I train my district's teachers and work closely with our IT department - no one has time to build an LTI from scratch.

cgaudreau
Community Contributor

React/InstUI roll out has, in my opinion, not been optimal. My local user group even reached out to see if Canvas can provide (paid) working sessions to get us up to speed, and nothing.

If they are so intent on making these changes, a little support would go a long way.

0 Kudos
Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

We'd love to learn more about your needs for the tabs. Could you all let us know what kind of content you had in the tabs? 

0 Kudos
Shar
Community Champion

Greetings!

We also use tabs to organize information especially when the discussion assignment is multi-layered: background information, initial post instructions and reply instructions.

We found that putting the background information on a separate page was not helpful as learners either skipped the info or forgot about it when making their discussion posts. Using the tabs provides an easy and reliable way for students to see just the information they need when they are working on their posts.

And we especially use tabs with discussions at the beginning of the course to ease the learner into the requirements and avoid cognitive overload.

Tabs in a lesson 1 discussionTabs in a lesson 1 discussion

Just like in course settings, using tabs helps keep the information separate and organized. And we would like to keep that functionality in discussions.

And yes, tabs are not displayed in Canvas mobile apps but we usually encourage learners to make their first pass through content in a full-size web browser. I've been known to do workarounds for mobile content to display alternate instructions in general.

Stay positive, test negative,
Cheers - Shar

Tags (2)

@Katrina-Hess We also use tabs quite a lot. We have a discussion that has three tabs allowing students choice that really works best as a tabbed page. I would like to add my name to the list of users that would greatly appreciate a permanent tabs solution. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wendy-riggs
Community Member

Hey @Katrina-Hess-- thanks for asking.

I teach Human Physiology, and each discussion forum centers around a video lecture. I include (in tabs) a study guide, a set of helpful resources, and grading details. The tabs let me provide LOTS of information and support, but in an organized (and not overwhelming) way.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks @wendy-riggs and @Shar for your examples! Will forward to our team.

Katrina-Hess
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks @aspenwal, will share your use case with the team! 

d_j_corbin
Community Participant

@AllisonPittler Is this something Instructure could follow up on? This was identified in August/September, but I can't find any recent status on this. I just tested and it is still not possible to use tabs in the redesigned discussions.

Also, I tested a global announcement and it is not possible to do there either - regardless of the redesign feature preview being on or off. At our university we need to send global announcements in two languages, and the tabs solution + adding lang attributes would be a good way to better organize this content and help it meet accessibility requirements. Hopefully you can follow up on this, and here is the idea I posted about it.

0 Kudos