Hello and happy Friday!!

JDPearson
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I’m excited to introduce myself to the Canvas Community! My name is Jewel Pearson and I’m a new Product Manager at Instructure, working on Discussions within the Canvas LMS. 

I’m excited about this new opportunity to be part of the effort in continually enhancing the world’s fastest growing learning management system and in supporting teachers and students in their online learning and teaching experience! Discussions plays an integral part in the success of the teacher/student connection and interaction and I am committed to listening and creating new features and improvements that make the learning experience even better.

Over the next few weeks, I’ll be getting to know how people like you are using Discussions through reading Community posts, talking with CSMs, and digging into feedback some of you have shared. I look forward to hearing from and working with you as we continue to improve Discussions. Please check back here in the Community for exciting updates on what we’ll be releasing in the coming months. 

If you are using the anonymity feature in Discussions and/or have opinions about it and would like to share your experience, provide feedback or discuss needed functionality, click this link and sign up for a time to have a brief chat with me and a couple of team members.  I look forward to speaking with you! Also, feel free to add a comment below. Thank you for your interest in Canvas, in Discussions and your dedication to your students! 

About Me

I have worked in the financial services industry as a project and product manager for over 15 years and recently decided I wanted an opportunity to work in an environment that allowed me to feel as if I was making a difference. There were so many value statements that stood out to me as I researched the product manager role here at Instructure, but there was one that made me know this role was for me, which was: “A Canvas Product Manager cares deeply about people”. That statement is me and who I strive to be in a nutshell and I am happy to now be working within an organization where that is important and matters.

In my personal life, I’m the mother of one adult daughter who is a lawyer and graduated summa cum laude from North Carolina Central University (Eagle Pride!) and is also a Harvard Law graduate - her success and education were my priority and passion. I also have a thing for tiny houses on wheels (THOWs) and am a tiny house dweller and advocate, having designed and built mine in 2015 (before they were a thing and people just thought I was weird :)). I believe that THOWs offer an opportunity to challenge the housing status quo and offer opportunities for impacting prevalent and longstanding housing inequity and like my professional role here at Instructure, I want to be part of something good that offers the opportunity to make a difference.

Labels (3)