Create a Conference in Canvas (Adobe Connect Integration)

harker
Community Member

I think I am beginning to figure how to use Jive better. hehe. Here is a document we are using to assist faculty in using Adobe Connect (Conferences) via Canvas. Feel free to use. -Ean

Overview

This tutorial will show you how to create and begin an Adobe Connect conference in Canvas. Note: Adobe Connect is required to have been integrated into your institution to work. This is the tutorial we use at SUU.

Step 1

Open the course in which you want to create a conference and select the Conferences tool in the navigation pane on the left. Please note that you may need to activate this tool for it to appear for your students to access the conference room.

Screenshot of the Conferences tool.

Step 2

Select the New Conference button in the top right corner.

Screenshot of the New Conference tool.

Step 3

Delete the entire default title in the Name section. Type the current semester (S=Spring, F=Fall, M=Summer) with year followed with the date (yy-mm-dd) and your last name (i.e. S14-03-19-Smith). This is done to ensure your meeting room is not deleted until the end of the semester. We delete old conferences from past semesters, and so naming your conferences in this way helps us identify old conferences and helps us maintain our license parameters.

Note: You will get an error message when you try to start a conference if your title has too many characters, so keep your conference title as short as possible. The limit is 26 characters with no spaces. If your last name has over 16 characters, just shorten it so it meets the 26 character limit.

Screenshot of the Name field.

Step 4

Check the box next to No time limit so you don’t have to worry about your conference ending too soon. Add a description if you would like one.

Screenshot of the time limit.

Step 5

Uncheck the box next to Invite All Course Members. Since you will be using this room multiple times, it is not needed for you to invite your students. When you have finished customizing the settings of the conference, select Update.

Screenshot of the member section.

Screenshot of the Update button.

Step 6

Select Start to begin the conference.

Screenshot of the start button.

Due to the current nature of our Canvas-Connect integration, you will be listed as a Participant the first time you create a conference. You will need to be assigned as a Host on the Connect sever in order to use Adobe Connect in your course. This assignment is only needed to be performed once by your Adobe Connect Administrator. Once this action has been performed, as the instructor, you will be able to 'Host' your web conferences via Canvas.

Screenshot of the Hosts section.

Information compiled by SUU Online™ © 2015

15 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Thanks for sharing, harker​!

kedgecomb
Community Champion

Thank you for sharing!  However, does this have to be added by your Admin.  We have Adobe Connect accounts, but I do not have that option in Conferences. 

padilla_w
Community Novice

This is very helpful.  I love the ability to be able to communicate with more than one student at one time.

olson_j
Community Novice

Me too....multi-communication!

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

in my testing of canvas and adobe connect  so far - i HAVE to invite course members when create conference otherwise they cannot see or access it

see my other comments on Canvas to Adobe Connect Best Practices / Troubleshooting

Cindy_Masek
Community Contributor

I have the same question.  I am thinking this is an institutional license for the entire college with Adobe and not an institutional license for x number of faculty rooms.  We are going with the later and I'm thinking there isn't a way to integrate like this in the individual license mode.  Of course the teacher can put a link to the room in the course. I'm thinking that is as much integration as will be possible.  But I'd love to find out if I am wrong and there is a way!

harker
Community Member
Author

Yes the set-up we have here is an institutional license for the whole university. With our license, we have a X number of "hosts" (or user account limit for the Host group).

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

These set up guides here are useful but sadly we are having a torrid time with testing Adobe Connect in our test site. This has been going on for months .. our test users either cannot access  their own or other users rooms, can only access other users rooms and not their own  or appear as a different user if do ever get into a room. Has anyone else encountered this? is it because we are in the test environment? .Can anyone help? We have a ticket with support but insights from the awesome community would be handy !

Cindy_Masek
Community Contributor

Are you licensed for just individual rooms? Did you get your license through a 3rd party distributor?  If so I'd contact them.  I had some difficult with how I had my rooms set up (I hadn't added the teacher whose room it was as the host).  MeetingOne our distributor was great in helping me find the problem.  Once set up correctly, the teacher just posted the link to their room in all the courses where they teach.  Students then just need to click on the link to join the session at the appointed time.  I'm not sure that is what you need - but maybe that can help.

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

We have an institutional  licence for any number of users that we have been using for years...we are near a possible solution from canvas end

harker
Community Member
Author

That is good to hear. I know Instructure does not want to push their integration plug in anymore as Adobe does not want to help.

So the easiest fix is to go through a third-party to handle the integration.

Personally, I don't like it because it stacks services. The idea anyone would have to pay another company to have the cheese put in their hamburger is not cool.

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

sadly we are no nearer a solution...more testing..groundhog day...over and over and over!

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I agree: to get what we want (automatic enrollment of students into meetings), there is an apparent need to contract with an integration expert.

ps.  A Grand Cherokee SRT8 is tres cool as is, but with an after market Hennessey supercharger installed, smiles turn into unbridled jubilation. Vroom!

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

I am at the point of despair - have been testing integration since June with same user access issues... have not even tested what happens when have a recording. Canvas only took it seriously in last month ... will post if get good news

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

Update re our testing with Adobe Connect and Canvas:

We still have issues wiht what happens when set up rooms and access other rooms ( see my latest post at Canvas to Adobe Connect Best Practices / Troubleshooting)

Canvas are now pointing us to a third party with Adobe Connect LTi who will help with the integration (Adobe Connect partner)(https://www.eduappcenter.com/apps/395#.VuwwQxKLT5Y esynctraining.com) - we have a webcon with them today and no doubt to get the help we will have to move our AC account to them for a fee... more later...