Mastery Paths flow with buttons

cjocoap
Community Novice

I've created a Mastery Paths module that includes only differentiated paths. It's working, but the flow is stunted by the lack of buttons once students complete the associated assignment or content page. My current workaround is to include explicit information in the Mastery Path assignments about scores and how students can review pages or resubmit work or move onto the next item based on scores. I would love to see Mastery Paths include differentiated path "next" buttons. The flow is super clunky. However, I am happy to report that the paths are working as designed!

24 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cjocoap ‌, to keep Community resources tidy and readily accessible, I've moved your helpful document over to the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/higher-ed?sr=search&searchId=baa9b0e9-c85b-4da6-bbb5-3fcd58dc...‌ group. Feel free to share it out to other groups to which you belong as you see fit.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Carrie,

We're glad you have a workaround to masteryPaths! Currently there is a delay between clicking the Next button in the module progression and linking to the next available assignment. This behavior is still an open ticket with our engineering team. If you haven't I'd encourage you to submit a support ticket about it so engineering knows it is a priority.

Hope that helps!

Erin

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

erinhallmark‌, I'm not sure it qualifies as a delay since the Next button doesn't show up at all. 😉

We had a discussion about this issue here - https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona‌ - and here's my case number with support if anyone would like to reference it - 01988500

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Kona,

Your ticket describes the same behavior; the Next button should still be there, but it's just not directing to the correct item. The ideal workflow is to have a Next button in all instances to help the students know where to go, and MasteryPaths just isn't picking up fast enough on which assignment is next in the path. I filed the engineering ticket on that myself and I've asked the L2 to add it to your case.

Thanks,

Erin

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Erin, If you keep reading on my ticket the final conclusion is that the button doesn't direct to the right place for the "test student." For real students the button doesn't show up at all.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Kona,

All of my testing is with demo students—I never use the test student— so I can't replicate that button not showing up at all. But hopefully between your screencast and my other information the engineers can eventually get it all figured out. Smiley Wink

Erin

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Wow! Now that adds a whole other layer of confusion to the issue! No wonder what we were saying didn't match up! Thank you for clarifying!!

eric_orton
Community Contributor

I have my own ticket open on essentially the same issue, and this issue is currently keeping us from using Mastery Paths. The navigation is just too problematic for me to feel comfortable putting it in front of real students. Is there any way to get notified on when your engineering ticket is resolved?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@eric_orton , if you have a ticket in for it then you should be notified any time there is a change in status.

eric_orton
Community Contributor

On my ticket, yes. I am hoping there would be a way that my ticket and others about the same issue could be linked. My concern is that the ticket Erin submitted could be resolved, and it should also solve my problem, but I don't hear about it because different people are assigned to work on the different tickets.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

For us we add interested people to tickets. What we do is have a primary person who is working on that ticket, but then add any interested parties as CC on the ticket.

sbeck1
Community Champion

Any word on these tickets,  @kona ‌ and  @eric_orton ‌? I know it has been awhile, but we are working on documentation to get faculty started this fall with MasteryPaths.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sbeck1 ‌, nope, nothing new. 😞

jessica-stines
Community Novice

I can't open the document for some reason...

eric_orton
Community Contributor

@sbeck1 ‌, in talking with someone from Instructure, they are certainly aware of the issue and that it is a problem for many people. However, no one has been able to give me a timeframe for when they expect it to be fixed, only that it is on their backlog.

For what it's worth, the Next and Previous buttons do work correctly (i.e., differentiate based on the mastery path taken) for graded items, but since content pages can't be graded, they don't work for those. So, the Next button will skip an assignment, quiz, or graded discussion that is not in the individualized mastery path for a student. If you can structure your paths in such a way that all students always see the same content pages and only the graded items differ between paths, mastery paths will work well for you. (I realize this is difficult. What about remedial or enrichment content, right?)

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@eric_orton , this hasn't been my experience. Granted it was last week when I tested it, but I've tested it with ONLY graded items in the path and the buttons didn't work - took me to the next Module (so next set of content that everyone was assigned - so outside the path). I've also tested it with a page that everyone had in their path and it still didn't work right.

eric_orton
Community Contributor

I guess I'd have to know the particulars about how what you're doing differs from what I'm doing. My last test was about two weeks ago, and I found the Previous and Next buttons would appropriately skip graded items as it moved through module elements, but would try to go to content pages if they were the next element in the module even if they were hidden from a particular student's path. When this happened, it would display an error and kick the student back to the defined course home.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Here's a video I made for support about the issue - 06.14.2017-09.51.34 

dianepbh
Community Participant

Did this ever get resolved? The documentation does not seem to have changed much. 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I’m pretty sure I got an update from support recently saying that this had been fixed. Are you having the same issue?

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, all,

Please see the fix noted in the last production release notes: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12522-canvas-production-release-notes-2017-10-07#jive_conte... 

Thanks!

Erin

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks Erin!

eric_orton
Community Contributor

So, I just tested this, and it does look like the timing issue with processing mastery paths has been addressed in the way Erin describes. However, it looks like content pages still don't respond appropriately to master paths. For example, I have a module containing the following:

• Pretest (5 questions, with mastery paths set to reveal the folllowing: Remedial items followed by Core items on a score of 0-2, Core items only on a score of 3-4, or Enrichment items only on a score of 5)
  • Remedial Content Page
  • Remedial Assignment
  • Core Content Page
  • Core Content Quiz
  • Enrichment Content Page
  • Enrichment Discussion Board
  • Enrichment Content Quiz

When I score a 5, though, the Next button on the pretest (after the mastery path has finished processing per the tooltip) still tries to go to the Remedial Content Page rather than the Enrichment Content Page, and I get kicked back to the Modules page with an error message. If I take out the content pages and use only graded items, the Next button on the pretest skips over the Remedial Assignment and the Core Content Quiz, as it should, and goes straight to the Enrichment Discussion Board.

Will there be any attention given to making content pages respond appropriately to mastery paths by being skipped over on clicking Previous/Next navigation buttons when appropriate?

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

Another great tool that the community was willing to share. I can’t wait to see this tool and how it will work.