The End of the Blend?

jnuckles
Community Contributor

blended graphic.pngMy institution recently renamed our “Blended” courses to “Hybrid” in the hope of easing perceived student confusion. Following some brief research, I’ve come to the conclusion that students aren’t the only ones confused by the terms used to describe the variety of modern course types. On ground, traditional, face-to-face, web-enhanced, blended, hybrid, flipped and online are just some of the words that educators are using to describe the ways in which they deliver courses. I found many definitions for each of these terms. Some consider “Hybrid” and “Blended” to be the exact same thing, while others describe their “Blended” courses as those where no seat time has been replaced by online course work even though much of the course work is completed online. Using this definition, our “Hybrid” courses have always been mislabeled as “Blended” and around 60% of our “On Ground” courses should actually be labeled “Blended”…or should they be “Web-enhanced”?

The only agreement in all of the definitions that I have found are that they all include some description of the amount of time spent in the traditional classroom setting with an instructor present, often called “seat time” or some quantification of the percentage of learning activities that take place outside the classroom. If 50% of the learning activities are online but the college does not reduce the amount of time that the students spend sitting in a seat in a classroom, is this a “Blended” course? If the 50% of the course is online and the time in the classroom has been reduced, then is it a “Hybrid” course? If the course is only 25% online then is it a “Web-enhanced” course? If the instructor only uploads documents but none of the assignments, is it still “On ground”? If there is proctored testing in a physical testing center can we call it an “Online” course? The questions go on and on. I believe that educators are making things unnecessarily complicated for students in order to suit our need to classify what we are doing. With all good intention, we try to educate students on these different course types because educating is what we do. Of course, in this case, we are trying to educate students on a subject that we can’t even agree upon ourselves.

We know that instructors (70% of them at our institution) are putting at least some content online for their “On ground” courses. There will soon be a day when this number reaches 100%. By that point, using the previously mentioned definitions, none of our courses would be considered “On Ground”. We don’t really know exactly what percentage of these courses take place in the classroom and online and neither do the students when they register. It could be 1% or it could be 49%. Hasn’t this always been the case? How long has the concept of homework existed? Students have always been expected to complete coursework outside of the classroom. The fact that homework now requires more than a paper textbook and a spiral notebook doesn’t really change anything for the student except for the required access to more advanced technology than a pen or pencil.

Some time ago we stopped using the term “Course Sites”. I felt that this was a remnant or the days when having a class website was something very uncommon. We now just refer to “Courses”. The days of going to college and never using a computer are gone. We need to embrace this fact and make sure that it is clear to all of our incoming students, no matter their background.

Haven't we also reached the point where we no longer need to categorize and define the type of courses for students? Even if we could agree on what they are, could we ever get our students to understand this mess? I think it is time to end the “Blend” and the “Hybrid” and the “Web-enhanced”and probably even the “Online”. These are all just courses now. Can’t we just say to our students:

“Classroom time may be reduced or replaced by outside coursework. Outside coursework may require the use of computers, tablets or smartphones in varying degrees.

I know that there are many additional complications to doing something like this, such as the legacy of fees that some schools (including mine) still charge only the students who take online courses and the ability for the college to continue to ensure that the proper seat time rules are being observed as well as requirements for accreditation. These are all details for us to work out internally. Students don’t need to know how the bread is made, they just need to buy the end product.

Welcome students! Some courses meet in-person frequently, some meet a little less, some don’t meet in-person at all. Pick the courses that fit your schedule and learning preference.

12 Comments
ajohnson
Community Contributor

One other reason to code courses is for the registrar's office: they need to assign classrooms and times. A course that never meets F2F doesn't need a classroom. One that meets every other Wed can share the same classroom as a class that meets the opposite Weds.

One university I worked at has strict definitions for classroom, hybrid (or maybe blended; it's been too long!) was 25-75% time replaced with online, online 0-25% of time meets face to face. (I disagreed with the latter, but we used it so that a course could have an orientation in person and still be called online.) Whether this is still useful for students, I don't know.....

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

This statement is included in the student handbook and on our website about student use of technology.

Students are expected to possess the computer skills necessary to type papers, browse and search the Web, access college information, and communicate through e-mail. Beyond these basic expectations, Online and Hybrid sections offer alternatives to traditional faced-to-face classroom instruction.

In addition, in our Student Orientation to Canvas and our Faculty Canvas Training we also include this image to help them better understand the differences between the different modalities. It seems to help illustrate the differences and people seem to "get it."

Modalities.png

jnuckles
Community Contributor

Yes, those are your definitions, and we have our own, and so does every school. The problem is, they are not all the same. It is like going to one McDonalds and asking for a BigMac and getting a Fish Sandwich and going to another McDonald's and asking for a BigMac and getting a BLT. Each McDonalds then tries to solve the problem by attempting to educate their customers with orientations and videos and any number of things to explain what is on a BigMac at their school. My point is, do these definitions matter anymore to the students? Does McDonalds need to educate me about the bakery that their buns are baked by and the type of grain that the cattle are fed? Are the specifics about the modality doing us more harm than good at this point?

jnuckles
Community Contributor

I also dislike the implication that there is something non-traditional about taking a class that requires outside course work. Homework is traditional.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Call me crazy, but I actually I do think students need to understand what is involved with their course. At my Institution we have a lot of students who are NOT tech savvy. I can't count the number of students who have ended up in my office in tears because they didn't realize that they were going to have to type all of their papers and homework. Or that they didn't realize that an online course meant they would have to literally do everything online. For our specific Institution making sure students are educated about what they are getting into BEFORE the course starts is VERY important to the overall success and retention of the students. If a student finds out in advance that hey, online learning isn't for me, then that gives them time to get into a more appropriate class/section. Yes, in an ideal world this shouldn't be the case, but the ideal world isn't were I'm currently working and until that happens I'm going to do everything I can to make sure our students go into our courses prepared with as much information as they need to be successful.

dhulsey
Community Champion

I like to know what I am eating. Not too long ago, there was a scandal about some places using  "the yoga mat chemical" in bread. While I do not eat meat, people seem to like grass fed beef over other feeds. Don't even get  started on chicken nuggets; have you ever seen how those things are made?

If I do walk into a McDonalds, then, yeah, I expect them to disclose  where my food comes from and how it is made.

t_logvynenko
Community Contributor

Nowadays, it's a pretty standard to use computers and gadgets in classroom. As a result, a plethora of digital words are catching on. And we are still getting used to hearing new terms. Like everything else on the Earth, language is evolving. It is a linguistic nature when vocabulary keeps on growing. Undoubtedly, it is not easy to turn passive vocabulary in an active one, and, what is more, to understand distinctly all the hidden sense, but there is no need to run of petty language difficulties. Accepting this linguistic law, we just need to find a way to make all the terms clear to students. 

jnuckles
Community Contributor

If only we were actually providing that level of detail for our courses instead of meaningless inconsistent labels.

1. Lecture Type: [Face to Face / Pre-recorded Presentations / Live Presentations / None]
  2. Textbook: [Paper / Digital / Web]
  3. Testing: [Online / Proctored Online / Proctored in-person]
  4. Communication Type: [Face to Face / Online Discussions]
  5. Faculty Availability: [In-person / Email / Chat / By Phone ]
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Technically in the course syllabus Instructors should be providing this level of information about the course, course content, and assignments. Pretty much all of our Instructors provide this type of information. Not laid out quite the way you have it, but they do include it.

jnuckles
Community Contributor

Kona,

Do you have the syllabi available before students register? We haven't done this (yet)

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Some do and some don't, but the push is to get them all available ahead of time.

dhulsey
Community Champion

We have syllabi posted before registration opens. My syllabi for fall had to be posted back in April. I can edit before the term starts, but we make a good faith effort to be as accurate  possible with things like isbn numbers.

Our syllabi include quite a bit of standardized information, and we use a home brewed online system to post syllabi and link them into Canvas. When  I post a syllabus, I get a series of boxes I can edit. The standardized stuff is automagically added to the syllabus, and I cannot edit it. 

It is pretty easy, and I like that I don't have to mess with (and can't mess up) the standardized, college-wide policies and format.

I hope that helps, Jeff!