YouTube Changed Embed Options

debra_mansperge
Community Contributor

This is somewhat of a note to myself.  Up until recently, YouTube would allow sharing videos without related videos using an option on the Share:Embed popup.  I was updating some pages last night and noticed they no longer offer this option.  It is still possible to keep related videos from showing - you just need to add ?rel=0 in the link.

For example, a src for the embed code has a value like this "https://www.youtube.com/embed/cIuXl7o6mAw

Here is where the ?rel=0 (that is a zero, btw) should be entered:

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/cIuXl7o6mAw?rel=0

Hope this helps someone else.  I can't be the only one who doesn't want my students to know that I'm looking for a "cute haircut for fat ladies."

Tags (2)
4 Comments
Bobby2
Community Champion

Super helpful. Thanks  @debra_mansperge .

kdickso
Community Participant

Well that explains some interesting videos that showed up when I projected youtube from links I had embedded in class. On the large screen. the VERY LARGE screen (see below).

Mostly Colbert and SNL, thank goodness.

299743_pastedImage_1.png

Screen = area above podium (not white boards behind). I DO NOT want embarassing content there so I will be bookmarking this. THANK YOU!!!

debra_mansperge
Community Contributor

That is a very large screen!  I noticed that even with the rel=0 tag, it still suggests videos.  But the suggested videos were from the same account that made the linked video - not mine.  I've shown an example below.  It suggests two videos that were also made by fuse school.  

299853_pastedImage_1.png

kdickso
Community Participant

And that screen is a little bit small compared to my classroom for my film class this semester (same type, but with surround sound and subwoofer...I love this classroom).

I've just signed on to be part of an Arc pilot at my school, so if I see anything interesting happening there with the youtube videos I'll add it to this thread.

Thanks again for your help.