cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apageor2
Community Member

Can adjunct teachers be safe when entering higher education world?

I most recently read about a career college located here in Omaha, Nebraska (news resource is below) and it is raising eyebrows because the learning level is higher education and secondly this career college just had it's doors shut down due to what was being taught. It would appear the accreditation is bad and the students will not be obtaining what they have learned throughout the previous terms; I find that discouraging and it raises questions especially now that I am creating online classroom structures and have the desire to enter higher education. I've gone through graduate classes and post-graduate classes wanting to benefit the students who desire an education to improve their career.

I guess the thought going through the pit of my stomach is how can you determine before teaching that location is fully accredited? :smileyconfused:

Appreciate the feedback from those of you who have gone through this process.

Best regards,

Sue

PS. Here is link of news

Accreditation president resigns following Wright Career College’s closure | fox4kc.com

2 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@apageor2 ​, I reviewed a little bit about this College and it looks like it was a for profit Institution. In general from my experience you're much less likely to find non-profit Institutions run into issues like this (not saying that it can't happen, but that it's less likely). In addition, you can do a little research and see if the Institution you're looking at has had any accreditation warnings or is on probation. Institutions don't lose accreditation overnight, it's a process, so if there are some signs of smoke (warnings/probation) there might be fire.

Hope this helps and because this is more of a conversation (no real right/wrong answer), I'm going to switch this over to a discussion.

apageor2
Community Member

I find your reply quite interesting because students in my post-graduate classes did ask similar type questions which always raised my curiosity.