Does anyone know how to share folder (with files) with students

Jump to solution
floresr
Community Champion

I am using Canvas to train our faculty as we move from Moodle to Canvas. So, I'm having to figure things out on the fly.

I have a need to share the weekly workshop handouts with the participant faculty for later use. I don't want to clutter my shell with links to individual files, nor do I want to send multiple messages with file attachments every for meeting. I need a folder to drop files into, and they can access those files from the same link any time they need to. This would give them one place to go to all the time to get the files, rather than searching through messages and pages etc. to get to the file they want.

It seems intuitive that one would have the ability to create a folder, and share it with participants in the course. However I can't figure out how to do this simple task.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you in advance!

Ricardo

1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@floresr ​, in Canvas you could do this by creating the folder in the Files area of your course. In Files you can create a folder, name it whatever you want, and then add the files you want faculty to have access to. Unfortunately this would also make all of your files and folders that aren't hidden or have restricted access available and visible to everyone as well. As for sharing this, you could always direct them to Files and the name of the folder or you could also provide them the URL to the folder (open the folder and copy the URL at the top of the page). One thing though, if you want to provide the link from your Modules page, make sure when you add it (you'll need to add the URL as an External URL) that you check the box to "Load in a new tab." Otherwise it's going to do this strange looking Canvas inside of Canvas looking view. If it loads in a new tab then it will just look like normal Canvas, but with the screen open to the folder and the files. Here are some guides that explain how to use Files in Canvas - Canvas Guides - Files

If you're ok with not housing the files directly in Canvas, than something pretty cool that you can do (and something I've been doing recently) is to have the files in a Google Drive folder and then embed that folder in a Canvas page. It works pretty nice and looks good too! Here are directions for this if you're interested - Embed a Google Drive Folder

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post