Get Notified Right Away About a Course 'Content Link Error'

gnordberg
Community Contributor

This CanvasTip actually came from one of my faculty and I thought it was definitely worth sharing.

In a user's account Notification preferences, there's an option under Alerts called Content Link Error. I never paid much attention to it but if you hover your mouse over it, it explains this preference will notify an instructor the location and content of a broken link that a student has interacted with inside a course. The default setting for this preferences is Daily, which may be fine but I suggest changing it to Right away instead.

Content link error notification preference

Think about it: if you're teaching a course and a student tries to access something and is presented with an error, how do you think that student will feel? My guess is probably annoyed . If you were notified right away about this and could potentially fix it in a matter of minutes, you could help avoid any further headaches for your students. 

Below is a link to the help guide in Google Doc form:

Get Notified Right Away About a Course 'Content Link Error'

Related

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as an instructor?

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as an instructor?

Please share if this is helpful!

3 Comments
Bobby2
Community Champion

You have just told us about something magical  @gnordberg  I will be sharing this little nugget. Thanks so much. 

gnordberg
Community Contributor
Author

Haha awesome. We all love magic!    

sophie_cormack
Community Member

Thank you - I have been doing this for a couple of years - I have it set to daily because I am attached to so many courses (we all have access to each others' so we can follow the progress of our personal tutees and so on).  The major problem is that Canvas doesn't tell you in the notifications which course it is talking about.  Sometimes it's impossible to guess, for example:

Content Link Error - Assignment 1: Essay

In Assignment 1: Essay, students are clicking...

Well, loads of courses have an essay as the first assignment, and I don't have time to click each notification to find out if it is one of my own courses or not.  It's driving me up the wall!

Sophie