cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdcohn
Surveyor

Group member evaluations

Many of our classes have students submitting projects as a group, and one way the individual members are evaluated is by taking into account their teammates' ratings of their contributions. For example, Group 1 (set up as a group in Canvas) submits its assignment. Then, each member of Group 1 rates how her teammates contributed. The ratings that each group member has received are added up and used to assign a grade.

Setting this up and aggregating the scores can be a very tedious process. We've tried various things to streamline it, including creating surveys in Qualtrics, Canvas, and Google Forms, but these require a lot of manual work to set up each time.

What we'd like it is a tool that will automatically populate a survey with the names of a student's group members, and once members have rated each other, aggregate the ratings given to each member (or output the ratings as a csv or some such).

I know folks have asked for these feature a few times over the years (e.g. Peer Evaluation for Group Projects), and that institutions have developed their own tools that they host and support themselves (e.g. iPeer). But does anyone have any experience with LTIs from vendors (or clever Javascripts) that can do this?

Thanks a ton!

Tags (1)
5 Replies
SkyVKing
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Matt, iPeer works really well.

Sky V.

skaggss1
Community Member

Matt, I am with totally with you on this.  I was surprised that this wasn't already an option within Canvas.  Peer evaluations are an accepted component of active learning; it should be a feature within Canvas.  I appreciate that I can assign peer evals across all my students, but internal to a group should be some sort of sub-preference or choice.

I did search through the third party applications and there are five that seem to facilitate this, but none are installed at my institution.  In the past I've tried to convince the "Keepers of Canvas" at my school to add an available app, something that would make my life easier and improve the educational experiences for my students; my only reward was frustration. 

So, heck yes!  Intra-group peer evals seamlessly integrated into Canvas is, in my opinion, is essential!

Also, and just a digression, the actual peer eval set up within Canvas confuses my adult-learners.  I think this needs a bit of a tune-up too. 

ecrowley1
Surveyor

This really is a must have feature for Canvas. All of my classes utilize projects with group ratings.

irmakozgenoglu
Surveyor

FeedbackFruits has the exact solution for it, it's called Group Member Evaluation.

It can be integrated into Canvas. They have several use cases on the blog page that can be helpful.

keroleenl
Surveyor

Im coming back around after 5 years and quite shocked that there hasnt been anything native in Canvas on this. 
Im wondering what other commercial options are out there that are hosted by a Canadian server?
At this point faculty are so desperate that a stand alone system would be acceptable.

And yes we did try ipeer from 2017-2019 but at the time there were security issues 

Thanks!