How effectively to set up zero-point orientation assignments

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm working on a fully online course and need some advice. During the first week I want my students to post an introduction and take a pre-course quiz. These are both within the first module, due at the end of the first week, and are requirements for students to maintain enrollment in the course. (We are required to drop students who do not attend the first week of the semester and I am using these in lieu of taking roll.)

All of my fully online teaching experience so far has been with a class called Online Student Success, so making these items count toward the course grade makes sense. Next semester is my first fully online history class, and I would like all of the points toward the grade to come from assessments that are more closely tied to the outcomes of a history class.

I see two options if I don't want these items to count toward the course grade:

• Make the items worth zero points - this makes them appear on the Syllabus, Calendar, etc. but might confuse students who see "0 points possible" and think they are practice assignments
  • Make the discussion ungraded and the quiz an ungraded survey (or practice quiz) - this removes the risk of confusion re: "0 points possible" but requires manually created calendar events to populate the Syllabus page

Both items are module requirements and there are lots of words about these requirements. I'm not sure which of these is the best way to go.

I'm tagging Instructional Designers‌ so this discussion shows up there too. I'm looking forward to suggestions and comments from the awesome Canvas Community. What have you done or advise to be done in similar situations?