Immediate feedback in quizzes, one question at a time

deldridge1
Community Novice

Hi everyone,

Canvas has some great options for giving students feedback in the quizzes. However, like many people joining Canvas, I was particularly keen to have the option for students to get immediate feedback, after each question in a quiz (rather than waiting until after submission), so that it can be used to help them learn and get feedback along the way. However, it doesn't seem to be a built in option.

The solution that I have used to get around this is to create a 'feedback question' after each real question, so that students learn along the way.

I've posted instructions on how I did this here, an example with screenshots here, and a video going through the process step-by-step below. 

I hope some of you find this useful.

Happy 2019, Daniel

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

5 Comments
benjamin_rodrig
Community Contributor

@deldridge1 ‌,

Great post. Thanks for sharing!

l_hekman
Community Novice

Great workaround and tutorial, thanks!

For anyone trying to use this workaround in Quizzes.Next:

Unfortunately in Quizzes.Next the multiple choice and multiple answer question types require at least two answer options. Therefore, I would recommend to use an Essay question to provide immediate feedback. Students can either type Yes or, if requested, reflect on their answer. Not ideal, but it works!

jveltman
Community Novice

Thanks for the post, this is a clever workaround. Unfortunately, this wouldn't work for randomized questions. In my scenario, I have practice listening quizzes where students have to identify pieces of music, and I want the students to be able to take the quiz multiple times and have a different question subset and ordering every time. Would there be a way to keep groups of two questions together (the actual question and its feedback question) and randomize the groups?

joward1
Community Member

I cannot tell you how many years I have been searching for this. I was so excited when I read your post. Then I tried to watch the video and it wouldn't show. I feel like someone gave me the world's most delicious cookie and then took it away before I could eat it. Could you possibly send me a link to that video at joward@wsd.net?  If this does what I hope it will do, my children will praise your name for generations.

rislis
Community Champion

Still looking for an answer to this. Sounds like the video would have helped, but it's no longer available?