Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frankel
Community Member

Module Requirements and Prerequisites

Jump to solution

Hi.

In my online course, I created an introductory module and made getting a 10 out of 10 on the syllabus quiz a requirement for completing the module.  Completing the introductory module is a prerequisite for starting Module 1 -- and, I thought, doing the assignments in Module 1.  I've noticed, though, that some students have received less than a 10 on the quiz, but were still able to do the assignments in Module 1.  I'm not sure why that's the case, and wondered if anyone has experienced the same thing or has suggestions about what is going on.

Thanks.

cdf

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

frankel​, I did some testing and everything seems to be working fine on my end. I went in as my Test Student and submitted the required assignment (Tell me About Yourself) and took the quiz (Syllabus Quiz) in Week 1, but didn't get the full 3/3 (I got a 1.25/3) and Week 2 was still locked for me.

Here are my Module settings:

Settings1.pngSettings2.png

My recommendation is to try out different scenarios with your Test Student and see if you can replicate the issue. Then, regardless of your findings, I'd definitely contact support to let them know that students weren't meeting the requirements and still able to access a prerequisite module.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

frankel​, it sounds like you are doing things correctly, but could you possibly include a screen shot of your Introductory Module settings (requirements) and Module 1 settings (prerequisites)? This might help trouble-shoot the problem.

frankel
Community Member

Here they are:

Introductory Module Settings

156290_pastedImage_0.png

Module 1 Settings

156291_pastedImage_1.png

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hmmm... Everything looks correct to me. In fact I have something similar set up for my course and my settings are identical to yours. Class hasn't started yet though so I'm not sure if it will work with students or not... off to go test it out!

frankel
Community Member

One of the things I wonder is if having a module prerequisite prevents students from accessing the assignments.

156292_pastedImage_0.png

Now, when  I continue in Student View, there is a warning:

156467_pastedImage_1.png

So I'm very confused.

cdf

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

frankel​, I did some testing and everything seems to be working fine on my end. I went in as my Test Student and submitted the required assignment (Tell me About Yourself) and took the quiz (Syllabus Quiz) in Week 1, but didn't get the full 3/3 (I got a 1.25/3) and Week 2 was still locked for me.

Here are my Module settings:

Settings1.pngSettings2.png

My recommendation is to try out different scenarios with your Test Student and see if you can replicate the issue. Then, regardless of your findings, I'd definitely contact support to let them know that students weren't meeting the requirements and still able to access a prerequisite module.

View solution in original post

frankel
Community Member

Thanks,  @kona 

I've reported the issue to the IT folks here at USF and they're investigating.  They'll file a ticket with Canvas, if necessary.

cdf

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Please let us know what you find out! If there is a bug (or something we're missing) it's good to include it here in case others run into the same problem!

frankel
Community Member

Will do.