cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Training for Faculty/Adjuncts

I am the Canvas Admin/Online Learning Director/Instructional Designer at a small, private college. We have just adopted Canvas and faculty/adjuncts love it! What I need now is training over the summer for my faculty/staff. We don't necessarily want to pay big bucks for the pre-packaged solutions, and I can do the training on my own. What I would like to know is what kinds of ideas/strategies have you implemented to train your instructors?

149 Replies
Highlighted

Renee Carney, could you please send me a link to the "Canvas Challenge" and any other training/resource that would help instructors learn/utilize Canvas.

Highlighted

Hi Julianne,

Instructure has discontinued support for the Canvas Challenge course but you can still download an archived copy of the basic challenge in the Canvas Challenge Leaders course, which you will find linked to under "Creative Training Ideas" in the Canvas Engagement Strategies group here: Canvas Rollout, Training, and Adoption Strategies (Collaboration)

Highlighted

Thank you. Julie

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 9:52 AM, scottd@instructure.com <

Highlighted

Renee,  Is the link still available?  I would be interested in looking at the challenge.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi Lecia,

We no longer maintain an updated version of the challenge because there are so many similar courses kept up to date by community members and available is Commons.  I would suggest searching there.  If you do not have access please DM me.

Thanks,

Scott

Highlighted

Scott,

I will check out Commons.  Thank you.

Highlighted
Surveyor

You might be interested in checking out the resources that have been made available through TOPkit (Teaching Online Preparation Toolkit).  This is a web resource and community to support faculty development for teaching online.  TOPkit - Teaching Online Preparation Toolkit   While it was created by Florida, anyone can join and use and contribute resources and ideas.  The University of Central Florida has made their faculty development training available.  I'm about to upload UF's shorter workshop.  (Sorry for the duplicate post, if someone has already posted about this!)

Highlighted
Community Member

I'm young...and at the same time I'm a little old-school. I love today's technology and seeing how other folks are using it. You may have noticed that getting fully registered into the Canvas Community, signing up for trainings, and then getting the credentials login is a little step-intensive. It's not a deterrent to everyone, but I've heard some fuss. Eventually, I want my faculty to get involved in the community, it'll save me a LOT of work...lol

What I have seen as a good introduction to new faculty, especially, is by simply linking to the video guides: https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/video-guide#jive_content_id_Instructors

You could also recommend that they browse the "All Users" as well, if not first, but then watch those short guides for whichever modules they're planning on using. This is a soft way of showing them Canvas without requiring the signups and hour-long trainings. Once they're interested and are getting the hang of it, they should naturally drift toward the community...although a gentle nudge never hurts Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Thank you.  I will definitely check out the site.  

Highlighted

I would love to see this challenge too. If you are able to provide the link that would be great.

Thanks!