cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

html editor

Jump to solution

the html editor in Canvas seems relatively limited.  Are there any features that can be enabled on the admin side or is there any way for users to gain better functionality?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi mtw56@law.georgetown.edu​,

There have been what I would consider several helpful replies here.  In addition to Dreamweaver many people report success using Softchalk.

To answer your original question, no, there are not additional features that an admin can turn on for the RCE.

thank you

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

There aren't any tools that I'm aware of which would allow you to add more functionality to the RCE.  The only exception would be external LTI apps.  For example, you could add LTI apps like YouTube, Wikipedia, and USA Today, and those would appear in your RCE menu list...as show in this screen shot.

LTI_Tools.jpg

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

mtw56@law.georgetown.edu​, I did a quick search of feature ideas related to the Rich Content Editor/HTML Editor that are currently open for voting and came up with these (although I'm sure there are more). If you have specific suggestions, you might want to add your idea and use case(s) to the Canvas Feature Ideas space, after reviewing the HTML Whitelist, which shows you exactly what attributes and tags are allowed in Canvas's HTML Editor, and after reading this guide: How to write a good feature idea submission

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Mark - You can also check our our Canvas Style Guide for great tips and HTML examples on how to spruce up your Canvas content.

Highlighted
Adventurer II

I do not believe it to be wrong minded to suggest using an HTML editor outside Canvas.  Best of breed would be Dreamweaver and plenty of free applications are also available.  e,g, CoffeeCup, Squarefree, KompoZer, etc.  Sorry if I am being Captain Obvious here. 

In addition, for the casual user a page such as this serves as both tutor and code generator:  HTML Codes, Editors, and Generators.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi mtw56@law.georgetown.edu​,

There have been what I would consider several helpful replies here.  In addition to Dreamweaver many people report success using Softchalk.

To answer your original question, no, there are not additional features that an admin can turn on for the RCE.

thank you

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Adventurer

Hi mtw56@law.georgetown.edu,

There is a hidden editor's menu bar in the Rich Content Editor. Select Alt-F9 to see it. menu-bar.jpg

Highlighted

dejonghed07@macomb.edu​, could you specify the operating system and browser you use to bring up the hidden menu bar? Every time I hit Alt-F9 on my Windows machine through the Firefox browser, it opened up a pre-addressed email in Microsoft Outlook. :smileyconfused:

Hi stefaniesanders​,

We can't use Firefox on our campus because of all the security issues. We use Chrome on Windows 7 computers. I found the hidden menu by clicking on the i symbol above each Page where it says HTML Editor. Click on the lower case "i" symbol that looks like this:

html-editor-image.jpg