A Place to Store Sample Feedback for Essay Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be wonderful if you were able to store sample feedback for essay questions.  I would like to be able to drag and drop or copy and paste the sample feedback right into the "Add a Comment" box.  Ideally I would enter this sample feedback when I write the essay question.  I would not want this to be something that the students could view unless I copy it into the "Add a Comment" box.  I would also like to  have all of the features of the Rich Content Editor for the sample feedback I write.

Thank you so much!

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
39 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Jordan:

I used to use a free app called TypeItIn from WavGet, and loved it. But now they want me to pay for it so I stopped. I do like this kind of tool though, because in many cases I end up saying the same things over and over again - I guess I must not have much of an imagination.:smileysilly:

klm

snugent
Community Champion

In addition to  @kmeeusen ​'s suggestions, you can modify the rubric options so it will save comments. I discovered this option by accident when helping an instructor who had configured her rubrics this way. The downside to this workaround is that it doesn't work with rating categories.

Edit the rubric and be sure to check the option, I'll write free-form comments when assessing students. Update the rubric.

2016-01-08_10-05-43.png

In the speedgrader with the rubric open you can save comments. It would be awesome to have this option with ratings as well.

2016-01-08_10-08-47.png

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Great catch Susan! I had forgotten that one. Most likely because I do not personally use the Canvas Rubrics that way. Funny thing though; I teach my faculty that they can be used that way - ah, the joys of old age.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey  @jfarris 

"I would also like to  have all of the features of the Rich Content Editor for the sample feedback I write."

The ability to use the RCE in quiz question answer comments has been developed into Canvas so I think that addresses the second part of your request.

It would be wonderful if you were able to store sample feedback for essay questions.  I would like to be able to drag and drop or copy and paste the sample feedback right into the "Add a Comment" box.

Since you can use the RCE in those comments, I believe this provides a method to accomplish what you're after in the first part of your request. Here's what jumps out at me:

1. Create a small text file that has the feedback you wish to give to students for that question. It could be docx, txt, pdf, whatever you prefer that Crocodoc can display.

What document types does Canvas convert using the document previewer?

2. Upload these files and if desired restrict the ability to view these files as needed.

How do I restrict files and folders to students in Canvas?

3. Now edit your quiz questions and insert these files into the correct comment boxes for the correct questions.

How do I insert course files into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector? 

Alternatively, you could do step 1 & 2 directly from the quiz using the content selector to upload a new file. Here's a screenshot of what this would look like to students after the click the preview icon:

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 9.07.28 AM.png

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I misunderstood something.

jfarris
Community Member

awilliams I really appreciate your suggestion!  That sounds like it may be very helpful for the time being.  My feature idea is still different from your way of sharing feedback.  With my idea you wouldn't have to make separate text files for all of your different feedback.  I teach 14 classes and have multiple essay questions each week for each course.  That is a lot of different text files.  I want the feedback to be stored right there with the question.  For example, I would have 3 different sample responses that go specifically with that question.  Then, I could just drag and drop the comment that best fits their response.  I could also add to or modify the sample feedback. 

snugent
Community Champion

This thread got me thinking of  @dhulsey ​'s InstructureCon 2014 presentation about clipboard managers . It probably won't be as elegant solution as you want but this might work.

jfarris
Community Member

Thank you Susan!  Dallas shared this video with me as well.  This is another great place to store feedback!

Thanks for checking out my idea! Smiley Happy

ross-brown
Community Novice

Hope you get this Jessica,

Ross

kelli_ritter
Community Contributor

I think we are wanting the same thing.  See my suggestion:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3377

jfarris
Community Member

Hi Kelli,

Thank you for your comment.  I just want to make sure that I fully understand your idea. 

In your idea could you store a few feedback options with the correct answer which would be hidden from the students?

Also, would you be able to drag and drop from the "solution" into the comments and then modify the feedback?

Thanks!

Jessica