[Gradebook Settings] A global option to enable/disable Missing and Late Status labels in the New Gradebook

I would like to see a more global option to enable/disable the display of MISSING/LATE assignment labels to our students in their Gradebook. While I appreciate the effort to address our initial concerns about this feature in the New Gradebook, as it is now this option must be managed student-by-student for EACH assignment. The display of these labels as the default is problematic for those of us who allow students to choose among a number of assignments to complete within an assignment group (e.g. making those ‘not done’ assignments neither ‘late’ nor ‘missing’).  

An Example...An instructor with 4 classes in a 16 week semester, with 50 students in each class, allows students to choose 5/10 assignments to complete in a given assignment group. The instructor cannot know which of these assignments students will choose until all of the assignment deadlines in that assignment group have passed. As such, to prevent students from seeing inaccurate late/missing labels in the New Gradebook for assignments that were not actually required, the instructor must:

1) go to the Gradebook column for each assignment in that assignment group (10 assignments)
2) click on the cell where each student’s grade would appear for that assignment (200 students)
3) change the Grade Detail Tray to ‘No Status’ (= 2000 grade detail tray changes)

If you then consider instructors with larger classes, and/or those who allow assignment choices in more than one assignment group, I think the need for a more global option associated with this feature becomes clear. 

For a more detailed explanation of how the option the removal of these labels is currently managed in the New Gradebook, please see ttps://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13333-canvas-release-new-gradebook#jive_content_id_Grades_Ma... . 

Additional concerns associated with this issue can be found in my post at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9339-missing-label-placed-incorrectlysubmission-on-paper-and-o... (Feb. 25th, 2018). 

Added to Theme

Provide more flexible grading options Theme Status: Identified

62 Comments
kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Hello laurakgibbs ,

I am surprised to see that this hasn't gotten that many votes yet. Perhaps the are a lot of people who, like us, have just decided not to use the New Gradebook - in hopes of this issue will be resolved before we have no choice but to use it.

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Happy New Year to you,  @kimberly_smith1  !!! My school made me switch to the new Gradebook this semester, and it is a NIGHTMARE.
But I am getting good help from the Community with ideas, and  @James  may even have some API magic he can use to help us.

I posted here, and totally forgot to ping you:

https://community.canvaslms.com/people/laurakgibbs/blog/2019/01/03/get-the-red-ink-out-of-my-gradebo... 

I don't know why my school made this switch midyear instead of waiting until summer... but they did. Ouch!!!!!

hfchen
Community Participant

In general I think more ways to mass manage the gradebook is very much needed. Whether that's concerning mass tagging/detagging, mass adjusting of grades (say +10% or +1 point for all grades), or any other kind of tags (quiz rocketships). I appreciate a lot of automation that's done by Canvas, but there should be mechanism for those of us with classes with thousands to maybe even hundred of thousands of student/gradebook item interactions.

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

AGREED. If the Gradebook worked like a real spreadsheet, we would be able to do all kinds of powerful data management. But the import/export feature is very limited. 

I enroll myself as a student in my own classes, and I use a Google Sheet to keep track of my classwork. I can do everything I need to with a real spreadsheet: sort, filter, colorcode, etc. 

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

I have voted this up but I wanted to mention one more thing. In our institutions it is against the policy to completely EXCUSE an assignment. The student can be given grace periods or other accommodations, but no assignment can actually be excused.  We would like the ability to eliminate the EXCUSED option from the Statuses.

jonesn16
Community Champion

Yeah, it feels like a problem of infinite regress - if it doesn't matter when they turn it, why have a Due date? If you have a Due date and an Until date that are different with no late penalty, the Until date is functionally your "true" Due date. And what if a student wants to turn something in after that Until date? 

That being said, I voted this feature request up because manually changing individual submission statuses does not scale with the size of classes I deal with. I have instructors managing 100+ students for a class. I think adding a Gradebook option to choose which statuses to use in conjunction with the current manual fine tuning would be ideal.

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Hello  @Jeff_F  ,

As I understand it, the labels will appear for students regardless - even if you do not enable the late policies.

elad33
Community Participant

When I enter a default score in the new gradebook (for missing assignments), I would like to be able to check a box that says something like, "Mark as Missing". Otherwise I have to change the status to Missing for each individual student whose work has not been turned in yet. 

Note: the "Automatically apply grade for missing submissions" option works great for some types of assignments but does not apply to No Submission or External Tool assignments, hence the need for the above described check box.

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

I think James Jones' contributions have been awesome! 

drs02040
Community Explorer

I would advocate that the status "None" be the default, with the other options available manually for each student.  It is highly annoying to have to reset these each week.