A11y/UX: Connect the title and transcript to an audio file in a similar way to video subtitling

0 Likes

For audio files that are uploaded or recorded in the Rich Content Editor there is nothing that is similar to "Video Options" for videos, to change the title, display options, size or add a transcript for the audio file. This is both an accessibility issue and a user experience issue.

1. I think it's important to be able to add and change the title of audio files, also after it is recorded or uploaded. Right now the only way to do this is to switch to the HTML version of RCE and change it there (title="Audio player for 2000_0130.mp3").
  2. I would really like to see the possibility of uploading a text file for the audio transcript, that will display the transcript as a link right above/below the audio player. Both while uploading the audio file and afterwards in a sort of "Audio Options" menu (similar to what Canvas has for uploading a vtt file for video subtitles). This would make it easier for users to add and find the transcript in a more logical place, rather than it being a separate document that can be placed anywhere else in the page content.
  3. Different display options would also be nice for audio files in Canvas.
1 Comment
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@d_j_corbin  Thanks for sharing all these suggestions for improving the audio recording process in the RCE. As it contains multiple ideas, we're not able to move it forward in this forum for broader discussion. Please share each one as a separate idea conversation after reading through How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? for guidance on writing singular idea prompts.