Ability for Instructor to Quickly Switch Between Multiple Gradebooks

0 Likes
(5)

I teach more than one class. I tend to do grading all at one time. When I am in a gradebook of class A, I would like to be able to go to the Gradebook of Class B without having to go to the dashboard, getting in the section, then the gradebook.

Maybe you could make a map of most recent places I have been that I could just switch back and forth between the two/ three classes that I want to look at via some map on the left side or something. Ideally I could have a button that would permit me to see the same thing that I am looking at (gradebook, Assignment Z, Discussion Board) in any course I choose by simply sliding to that option.

Please don't reply that I can do this by going to the dashboard. I *know* this. I want a ONE STEP way to do it.

Thank you for your consideration.

9 Comments
kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Hi there, there is a release coming shortly that may assist with this. A recent history button will be added to global navigation menu showing your navigation history for up to three weeks. It has only been released in the Beta environment at the moment and it is not able to be fully tested yet (by the Community). There is not a lot of information on exactly what the history will show yet either but it may show gradebook pages for different courses if you had visited them within three weeks. You could ask the question on this page: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Releases/Canvas-Release-Notes-2020-10-17/ta-p/409113#toc-hId-6962...

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@crawfordt 

Thanks for sharing this idea. We've moved it forward for further discussion, and hope you will check out this related idea from a student: Switch courses within an area in Canvas

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

mcnallyb
Community Explorer

Hello all, 

I've had many teachers ask if they can filter to a different courses gradebook, from the actual gradebook.

I know there are ways to filter and view but nothing that allows educators to filter through gradebooks from the actual gradebook. They have to go back to their dashboard, click on the course, go to grades... just a lot of clicking around. Adding this course 'filter' would streamline and make Canvas much more efficient. 

Thanks for listening. Let me know your thoughts

KelseaMessina
Community Novice

There should be a way to click from one class's gradebook to another rather than having to go into another class and click grades or having multiple tabs open. 

jamin_hoffman
Community Explorer

I agree!  This would save me a lot of time when I need to make the same changes to grade books in several different classes (as seems to come up frequently).

HarlanHowe
Community Member

I'm trying to imagine the use case when you are switching between the gradebooks of multiple courses, and the only one that I can think of as common would be if the canvas courses in question are multiple sections of the same class. In which case, it seems like it would be easier to cross-list the classes, so they are different sections in the same course, with a single gradebook.

But perhaps I'm missing something.

Are there other cases where you want to look at the gradebook in one class and quickly switch to the gradebook for a completely different one (and you do this often)? Maybe in sequential years, or if you are in an academic support role and you want to follow a student's progress?

nknudtson
Community Novice

I would need this for our school. This is the case, we are a career school and have lots of different classes that licensees take throughout the year. I have to jump from course to course to grade multiple students grades. It can take a while to do each day. I'm not only the instructor but the Director of Education, so I'm the administrator. Instructors having access to multiple gradebooks (from which they are the instructors) and administrators have a ability to go to one gradebook to filter from course to course, that would be ideal and so extremely helpful. 

On top of that, I know this is a separate ask, but again we have students taking courses throughout the year all at different times. When a student completed multiple assignments/discussions in a row, I have to go in and grade separately. Where if speedgrader would not only allow you to stay on that one course, but then for that one students grades all together, that would save me hours. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.