Ability to Change User Role to Observer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016  Learn more about voting...

With the new role change feature now available in Canvas, an existing user's role still cannot be changed to that of an "Observer".  Additionally, existing "Observers" cannot have their roles change to any other role type. The only option is to delete from the course and then re-invite, which we are trying to get away from.  Is there a reason the "Observer" role is not an option for a role change in either direction? It makes sense that the Observer role also be available as an option for a role change.

Comments from Instructure

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-03-12)

8 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Holly,

I'm going to go ahead and open your idea for voting now with the cohort that started yesterday rather than making you wait a month.

The observer role is more complicated than other roles in that it may be linked to one or more other users in the same course if the observer is observing specific students.  It would be helpful for our developers to understand use cases in when you might want to change someone from teacher or student to being an observer or when you might change an observer to be another role.

Thanks,

SD

hvaughn
Community Contributor

We use the observer role for a guest or an instructor who has not completed the required Canvas Basics training, but needs to see the course. In our institution, those with an observer role typically do not observe anyone in particular, they just need access to view course content.  Once the training is completed, we'd like to change the role without the deleting and then re-inviting.  We'd like to be able to change an instructor's role for a short period to allow them to see what an observer has access to.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

OK, cool.  I'm not a developer (I don't even have a developer hat) but it seems to me like that would make things easier for two reasons.  First, the observers you describe are observing a specific student like a parent observer would.  They are just general observers.  Second, it sounds like your folks most often go from being an observer to an instructor instead of the other way around, which might also be more simple.

Just FYI I did notify our product folks that this conversation is happening.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-02-29) >

hvaughn
Community Contributor

Wow - that was quick!  Thanks.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @hvaughn  for submitting this idea. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed