Ability to Create a stand-alone module.

I would like to be able to create stand-alone modules.  That is, a module that does not link to the other modules via the Next button. Currently, if I have three modules, X, Y and Z,  each with five items, a user starts at module X, pages through the five items to the end of the module and gets a “Next” button which takes the user on to the next module Y, and cascades through all the modules in the course.  I want the user in module X to come to an endpoint at the last item in the X module.

I envision this to have the option to modify the “Next” button for the last item in a module.  The options would be select able and might include: “Next” what we have now and would remain the default; “Go to homepage’” and;  Go to a Canvas object (file or page, etc.) of my choosing using the right side content menu to link to the location.

I have many instances where I do not want users to go on to the next module because they have been directed to complete X module, not Y orZ.   I do not want to hide Y or X because other users may be directed to go to either Y module or Z module but not the others.

4 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi mnieckoski

You might be able to take advantage of the tricks described in https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona developed by  @kona ‌.

Let me know if this works for you!

BradMoser
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kmeeusen ,

I will have to check this out...but not sure some of my staff feel as comfortable anytime the words "hacking" are involved. But I will check it out. Maybe it's doable. Thanks for sharing. 

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Download her procedure, copy it to a Word doc, and delete the word "Hacking". It's just a term some folks use to describe using a feature

in a manner not originally intended, or extending what is considered its normal functionality.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.