Ability to Customize Instructor Tutorials

Our institution thinks that the Instructor Tutorial Trays are an excellent way of providing new faculty with a quick overview of course tools. With that said, we wish that we could make institution specific edits to them that include local resources to knowledge base articles or to change some terminology to match the institution. After hacking around with javascript, there are some options, but none that are elegant or feasible from a maintenance standpoint based on the way the trays are dynamically built. We would like to request the ability to customize instructor tutorial trays through the account-level settings...perhaps a new tab in account settings that lists each tools header, subheader and paragraph text for which we can replace/update.

Thank you!

Shane

Tags (1)
8 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@shane_ohara  

Do you have a guide or a screenshot that you can post, which shows the 'tutorials' you are referencing? 

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@shane_ohara  Nice Work for proposing this idea. With apologies I'm going to provide a screenshot in response to  @Renee_Carney ‌'s comment. I have colleagues in my district who want this feature turned off entirely. We have a custom course that is copied into each new course and at my college it sets the Syllabus as the homepage, but the language in the tutorial ("We've set your homepage to Modules") might confuse instructors. So once this idea is approved the first thing we would do is change that text to make it better for our institutions.

Instructor tutorial for homepage with Modules reference circled.

Great idea, Shane!

shane_ohara
Community Champion
Author

Hi  @Renee_Carney ,
 @ProfessorBeyrer  is correct - this is in reference to the new instructor tutorials that we released recently. Once enabled they flyout from the right for all new users (or anyone who enabled it under their user settings), but the language isn't always applicable to every institution. We'd love to be able to customize it without lines and lines of JS, and exhaustive code checks every 3 weeks. Thank you!

Shane

shane_ohara
Community Champion
Author

Thank you!!

kschneider25
Community Champion

I would love the ability to add our Distance Learning departments contact information (a link would suffice) so that faculty become aware of resources and pedagogy help, if needed.  

christine_mckeo
Community Novice
christine_mckeo
Community Novice

I also agree with some of the folks on here and think the tutorial should be customizable. In general, I don't find the fly-outs to be particularly helpful because they don't actually point the user to any sort of how-tos or documentation. For example, the 'Quizzes' fly-out simply says "Create and administer online quizzes and surveys, both graded and ungraded" -- I'm not quite sure how that's supposed to give new users any real guidance as to how to use Quizzes.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!