[Rich Content Editor] Ability to Move Media Recorder in New RCE so you can see the text/content in the text box

In the New Rich Content Editor, the media recorder blocks the text/content behind it, so you cannot see or read what is on the screen.  {NOTE:  In the original RCE one could move the recording box in order to see the text in the text box]

Please fix this so that teachers, especially of younger students, or simply for UDL reason, can easily see the text while recording themselves.

Students need this to work as well, for example, in World Language classes, students sometimes type their text, and then record themselves reading it.

This video show the issue:  https://youtu.be/AHrE1y-0VJM

17 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Initial Stage: We're reviewing the new conversation

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

tyler_witman
Community Participant

Being able to see the text behind the video can help for so many reasons but especially for our students with speech disabilities or who are learning a new language whether English or a world language. Being able to move the window would greatly improve their interactions with Canvas. 

alyssa_moody
Community Novice

Yes please. This suggestion would make Canvas a more inclusive platform.

heather_hurley
Community Member

This is extremely important, especially if they need read what is on their screen. This is an accessibility issue that could prevent us from utilizing media recorder.

BethCrook
Community Coach
Community Coach

Please fix this!  Extremely important accessibility issue!

katherine_leon
Community Explorer

Please fix this. The Media Recorder blocks the view of the text behind it -- and the media recorder window can't be moved like you could in the original RCE

reema_chawla
Community Member

Hello Canvas Team members:

I am an avid user of Canvas since 2017. I love the dynamic use of Canvas and the growth mindset I seek to resolve and explore it.

Recently I noticed, I can't see the text behind the video/media recording. This is an issue, eventually, will grapple students just like educators. For instance, I was recording a chant for my students and I couldn't move the video/audio text box. The challenge was the humongous video/audio box---can't move it to look at the text behind it.

As a result, I had to copy and paste the entire text to another browser and then split the computer screen to see the text and record it simultaneously.

MueveteCIS
Community Member

In my class, the students and teachers use the video to submit work and to build lessons.  It is hard/impossible to read the text behind the screen which makes things more difficult.  We are a bi-lingual school and using the RCE video editor increases the workload by teachers and students who can't see the screen when recording.