Ability to Resize Total Column in Gradebook

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

Recently I have been playing with a variety of custom grades scales in order to gamilfy grading in some of our courses. We are looking at using some basic level ideas, and Canvas doesn't have any builtin functionality to generate levels when students attain a certain number of points. I figured I could use a text based, custom grading scheme that would automatically add levels to the total column in the gradebook. An example of a custom grade scale that includes a letter grade but also a level name is below:

figure09.png

Unfortunately, when you look at this kind of a grade scheme in the gradebook it doesn't look too good as the Total column doesn't resize to fit the actual grading scheme contents. As you can see in the image below the name of the level bleeds over into the previous columns putting the assignment column headers out of alignment with the cell content:

figure10.png

Every other column in the gradebook is resizable. I submitted a bug ticket thinking that the final grade column's lack of ability to be resized was a bug. I was told that the lack of adjustment in the Total column was expected behavior and I would have to submit a feature request if I wanted to see it adjustable.

So, given the information that I have presented I propose that:

• The width of the "Total" column adjust automatically in order to fit text based custom grading schemes or;
  • if this isn't feasible, at least add the ability to manually adjust the width of the total column when needed

If you are interested in additional information about leveling up you can read my blog post about it at: http://blogs.uw.edu/orwinr/2015/09/17/gaming-the-system-part-2-leveling-up/

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.

12 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for your submission, orwinr​. Although you can manually adjust columns in the gradebook, this doesn't seem to extend to the TOTAL column. This idea will be open for vote in the next voting cycle.

In the meantime, check out the Gamification​ group. The example you shared with the customization of your grading scheme is something pretty awesome! I bet the members would love to see this! Smiley Happy

G_Petruzella
Community Champion

Hey orwinr​, I'll second  @biray ​ - I'll definitely be upvoting this feature request when it goes live, and will make sure to share it out to the Gamification group too. Glad to see you've joined us! It's been a bit fallow the past few weeks (to be expected on the academic cycle, I guess :-), but there are many awesome members, so it's a good community to share ideas like yours.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

johnpj
Community Contributor

There is a gradebook feature request that is open for voting through Feb 3rd that you may be interested in:

pbogart
Community Novice

Thanks for pointing out the Gamification group. I've run into the same challenge that Randy has identified...we need to cross-reference the gradebook with the list of levels in the syllabus in order to puzzle out the data in the total column.

Pamela Bogart, University of Michigan ELI

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey folks!

I have created a ticket in our backlog to do this. It's something we'll need to sorta squeeze in between other committed roadmap items, so I can't say for sure when we'll get to it, but it is a very reasonable & worthwhile thing for us to do as soon as we can. Stay tuned and I'll let you know when we start work on it.

Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is in development as part of Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌ phase 1.

Some of the phase 1 features are available for testing via the Focus Group: New Gradebook‌.  If you do not have access you can request it through your local Canvas admin or CSM (customer success manager).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-11-06) .

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18)