Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Speedgrader/DocViewer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

We're aware that there are two parts to this idea. The "Speedgrader" piece of the request is complete; the idea remains open for DocViewer annotations comments.

It would be a great timesaver for writing instructors and anyone else making many of the same comments to students on assignments to save and store comments in SpeedGrader/Crocodoc DocViewer as one is able to do in Turnitin's Grademark feature. This feature would help SpeedGrader really live up to its name, too.

This has been a request since August 2012: Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Crocodoc : Help Center

180 Comments
anna_laneville
Community Novice

Hello! I just suggested the idea of a comment bank on another thread and was told that this idea had already been suggested here (Thank you,  @straussi !).

A comment bank would change my grading life! I currently use Turnitin to give students feedback on their writing because I can easily create a comment bank for each essay and then drag comments into each student's paper. However, my school is considering no longer using Turnitin - and, even if we do keep using Turnitin, it'd be nice for students to not have to leave Canvas (and go to Turnitin) to see their feedback. I think staying within Canvas would create a more cohesive and streamlined experience for them.

Thank you for considering this idea!

i_wilson
Community Novice

It appears that this is something a lot of Canvas users would appreciate. Let's hope it can be a reality very soon.

larry_kirk
Community Novice

This has been commented on by several academic staff as a big issue for speed of grading, and would significantly reduce the time taken to grade, so would be very welcome here

bourjaim
Community Participant

Soooo...any updates on this, Canvas?  I see people requesting this as far back as 2015.

andrew_bliss
Community Novice

Get it done, Canvas! This would save so much time. Either a dropdown menu with the most recent or most popular comments I've written on that particular assignment.

amcc
Community Member

It's been more than 2 years since Deactivated user posted, "we think this is a good idea and despite the fact that we can't get this done in the next 6 months, we're looking for ways to squeeze it in sometime in the future." Can we have a status update please?

amcc
Community Member

I recently learned about a 3rd party comment bank solution called Annotate PRO that integrates with Canvas in Chrome. It's a Chrome extension and has some nice features for managing libraries, sharing, etc. (Apparently it can also be used with Word, Google Docs, and other platforms.) Worth a look while we're waiting for Canvas to take action on this! speedgrader comment #speedgrader‌ ‌

sarah_jobson
Community Novice

It would be great to choose from a list of comments to add.  In the rubric I can add one comment, but I need to be able to click on a couple and add them to compose the appropriate comment.

machado1
Community Novice

I currently use "Feedback Studio," which is an option within Turnitin. Using Feedback Studio, I can create, edit, and download my own "set" of comments that I then can upload into Canvas courses. I can also toggle between sets. Feedback Studio also now comes pre-loaded with sets, such as "9-12 Grade Argument." If, for example, one notes a "comma splice," one can highlight the offending text and select "comma splice" from the set. A student will see that highlighted text and a comment called "Comma Splice," which that student can click on and then learn from (i.e., more info about comma splices and how to fix them). An instructor can add/save a new comment to any set, but FS doesn't allow you then to Save-As or Download that augmented set so that he/she can use it within another course. This is an obvious weakness. If something like FS could be made native within Canvas, this would make the need to upload/download sets unnecessary. Once logging in to Canvas, one should be able to see one's sets (i.e., sets should be tied to user log-in). One should be able to add-to, edit, rename, etc. Feedback Studio works just fine (I've been using it likely for about a decade, during which time it used to be named GradeMark), but its interface reminds me a little of BlackBoard in the old days. It def. could benefit from an upgrade and some of the drag+drop / user-friendly intuitiveness of Canvas. I am eager to transition away from Turnitin and Feedback Studio and am hoping that Canvas can add some haste to their development of this feature. Thanks!

rhughes2
Community Explorer

Just wondering how this issue is tracking, from what I can see it has been a long time on the "Radar". 

I have teachers at my institution who are very keen to use a comment bank to assist with the marking of assessments. 
Is there any update on when this feature might be available?