Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Speedgrader/DocViewer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

We're aware that there are two parts to this idea. The "Speedgrader" piece of the request is complete; the idea remains open for DocViewer annotations comments.

It would be a great timesaver for writing instructors and anyone else making many of the same comments to students on assignments to save and store comments in SpeedGrader/Crocodoc DocViewer as one is able to do in Turnitin's Grademark feature. This feature would help SpeedGrader really live up to its name, too.

This has been a request since August 2012: Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Crocodoc : Help Center

180 Comments
james10
Community Contributor

OMG! Why have I not known about this! Thank you so much for mentioning it!!

--Teeka

bdye
Community Participant

Canvas seem to have reached a staling point regarding useful development. I think this is what happened to the other LMS.

Instead of development, they seem focused on increasing marketing/adoption for K12 and features no one really cares about (3 years for Quizzes.Next). So many things we need at the Admin level that almost require a full time data positions to extract that should be in admin reporting. 

Laura sums it up well.

https://oudigitools.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-paradox-of-canvass-big-data-and.html  

A bit dated but another article on point-

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/11/05/ipo-filing-shows-instructures-focus-sales-and-marketi...

"To put the amount into perspective: during the first half of 2015, Instructure brought in about $30.5 million in revenue. But the company spent $25.1 million on sales and marketing alone during those six months -- more than it spent on research and development ($10.9 million) and administrative costs ($13.9 million) combined."

Brian

lee_coker
Community Member

highly recommend using Annotate PRO by 11trees.com

• It's saved me.
  • It's free.
  • It's embedded within SpeedGrader.
  • It's available in Word's Comments.
  • It's highly customizable.
  • It provides analytics per student, assignment, and feedback. 

I would not grade without it. Ever. 

sbiddle
Community Novice

This would be truly amazing. Looking forward to supporting and giving feedback. I think it would be similarly great to have frequently used comments populate in arc. I also wonder if these "frequent feedback" buttons could come from two sources: comments directly linked to the rubric and pre-populated common feedback manually entered by instructional designers, and an adaptive feature that updates common feedback automatically for individual users and across the assignment as a whole.

emills
Community Explorer

It would be even better if the frequently used comments could also be copied to a frequently used Rubric - making the rubric AND the comments global across all my classes. 

hdaniels517
Community Novice

Everyone who collects writing would use Canvas if this feature were added. 

alissa_groll
Community Novice

Yes, please!  This would save a great deal of time in grading.

erica_larsen
Community Novice

I am desperate for this because I have to grade so much writing and this function used to be my lifesaver when I had turnitin. 

lee_coker
Community Member

What you are looking for has been created by a third-party, 11trees.com. Their Annotate PRO Chrome extension works within Canvas (and Word and Google Docs). https://www.11trees.com/live/canvas-and-annotate-pro/ there's a free version, there's a paid version with some access to additional pre-built libraries. Your team, your PLC, your Dept. can share a custom library made from the pre-made comments or you can create your own library, group, and comments. Canopy, 11tree's Discussion tool/manager is getting some great reviews now too, but I haven't tried it yet. 

@ajmccann ‌ is the founder of the company; he can get you more information that'll make more sense too. 

ajmccann
Community Novice

Hey  @lee_coker ‌, many thanks for the mention.

We are actively developing AP, so feedback welcome!

Oh, and if you're curious about how Annotate PRO can help you create feedback faster and use Canvas Discussions please check out our Canvas Partner Day presentation happening October 16, 2019. Check out the details and sign up here: 11trees Partner Day- Canvas Discussions Analytics and Engagement: See the forest for the trees with ... .