Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Speedgrader/DocViewer

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

We're aware that there are two parts to this idea. The "Speedgrader" piece of the request is complete; the idea remains open for DocViewer annotations comments.

It would be a great timesaver for writing instructors and anyone else making many of the same comments to students on assignments to save and store comments in SpeedGrader/Crocodoc DocViewer as one is able to do in Turnitin's Grademark feature. This feature would help SpeedGrader really live up to its name, too.

This has been a request since August 2012: Ability to Save and Copy from Frequently Used Comments in Crocodoc : Help Center

180 Comments
petern
Community Contributor

Thanks Andrew for taking time to reply.  I appreciate all the work that gone into AP.  One last thought I had was about quickly adding new comments to AP.  If you could highlight something and add it directly to a library from the right click menu that would save time:

349031_pastedImage_1.png

silk_andrew
Community Member

I wonder if an easy way to get comments, (more like encouragement) would be to use the bitmoji plugin.. so you could do this... 

petern
Community Contributor
gharbor
Community Participant

Not sure if any other Canvas users found that the integration with Annotate Pro and Canvas broke over the last month. 

Attention Canvas Users! Having trouble (all of a sudden)? - 11trees 

But this is a key reason why having a 3rd party application fulfil a key roll in the LMS is not good. It only takes one change on either developers end to break things.

I still believe that Canvas should either purchase or develop their own interated solution and until then instructors are going to continue to mention "but TurnItIn did this years ago"...

P.S. we use an love Annotate Pro, but it feels like a band aid on a problem.

e_m_kiley
Community Participant

Agree that this a feature idea whose time has more than come, and that Chrome-only plugins do not constitute a solution. It would be nice to have comments that I could use not only across assignments, but across all the courses I teach. Things like, "I left some comments as Annotations on your submission. Click "View Feedback" to read them!" and a couple other 'tech-supportish' ones are used over, and over, and over again.

ashleya2
Community Participant

As the University of Melbourne transitions to Canvas, our academics are loving Speed Grader. What they are missing, however, is the ability they had in QuickMarks to save and reuse comments in their annotations. The University has made the decision to turn off the Turnitin LTI, so right now our instructors are cut off from this time-saving functionality completely. We would love to be able to return the comment-saving feature to them!

stephanie_b_sch
Community Novice

This is one main reason why my teachers are not switching from Google classroom!  Please, please add a feature to create a comments bank!  Thank you!

Jajones_22
Community Member

This feature would be extremely helpful to make marking more efficient because a lot of the same issues apply across students' submissions on a given assignment. It would also be ideal if the comment was editable after being selected to personalise it slightly if needed.

pedrotti1984
Community Member

So it looks like it has been more than 5 years educators have been asking for some form of saved comments to use over and over again in Speed Grader and Canvas has not figured out how to do this?  Is that true?  Our district just started using Canvas and the first assignment I need to grade for my AP Lit class would go a lot faster if I could have frequent comments saved to drag and drop.

Am I understanding correctly that this does not exist in Canvas and despite asking for it for many years the Canvas developers still have not created this?

Seems ridiculous on Canvas's part that they have not responded to the requests.  If I am mistaken, please tell me how to load frequently used comments into SpeedGrader so it can live up to its name.

Thank you.

amelia_stine
Community Explorer

Would you be able to make a list of written comments positives like   This is a great submission, and other comments that it might say You need to check the spelling of the words or of this word, try to...  It would be better if you. Why don't we asked teachers how what prases can the written comment assignments include?