Ability to Set Default Due Time at Course Level

(31)

Here is a suggestion from a teacher:

Provide a way to set a default time for assignments to be due for a specific class.

49 Comments
jkwarnke
Community Member

YESSSS!

jkwarnke
Community Member

I would really like to see this one resurrected.

brittany_white
Community Novice

This would make my life so much easier. I've just stopped putting in a due date because it's such a pain to change all the time. I know my students would love to see their assignments on the calendar, though, and this is the only way to do that.

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

This has always been an issue/annoyance for our teachers, but we're getting a lot more push back on this from our staff this year due to a change in the grading policy in our district that states assignments cannot be due outside of school hours. We were not consulted on the practicality of doing this in Canvas, but none the less it's now policy and a course-level setting would go miles in making our teachers lives easier as well as eliminate those occasions where teachers have forgotten to update that time. 

vgolay
Community Novice

Yessss please!  I never use the 11:59pm as my due date time because I think it is not in the best interest of student success.  Why do I care if they submit at 11:59p.m. or 3 a.m. -  I am not planning to be awake to do grading at that time of the night.  I make my due date at 8 a.m. Monday mornings so if they needed to stay up late into the night doing their work, they can.  A lot of our online students only have Sunday evening available to do their school work and it is impossible to finish all the assignments for that week by 11:59 p.m. in many of our classes.  We want to work for student success and in my classes, 11:59 is not a success. Since I have changed my time to the following morning, I have cut way down on those Sunday evening texts, calls, and emails crying out for extra time.  I have been doing this for at least 3 years, but the time it takes for me to go back in and change the time on every single assignment is CRAZY!

straussi
Community Champion

Valerie, one thing to consider are schools such as ours, where our online courses are attended worldwide. We make a point to encourage our students to set their time zones, otherwise the 8:00 AM Monday morning deadline is actually 1:00 PM in London, and 10:00 PM in Seoul (all places where I have had students in my online class). 11:59 PM may not be great, but it makes sure that all of our online students have the same deadline at the end of week, as long as they set their local time zones. 

vgolay
Community Novice

Ira,

I am not opposed to there being the standard 11:59 p.m. date in Canvas.  I just want the right to change it to my preferred time for my course.  In our college, the faculty has the right to determine their due date and time for their courses.  

frobro747
Community Explorer

Every assignment...... every single assignment.  Why do I have to adjust the time on every single assignment I create?  I never choose to set an assignment due time as 11:59 pm.  This is a significant annoyance.  It's bothersome that this has been a recommendation since 2015 and still not addressed.

k_gonso
Community Novice

Yes, my class is at 8 am so all work is due then. I have to manually change all the due date times and that is a pain. Smiley Happy

spectormarksi
Community Novice

This feature would be incredibly useful!  It's really pernicious at my school that our over-achieving, over-committed, and stressed students see most of their courses (and hence their teachers) telling that they should be working on schoolwork up until midnight.  (Yes, that's not what Canvas programmers meant, but it's what my kids internalize).  I go through and change each assignment to be due at 8am, but incredibly time-consuming.  Please allow for teachers to set a default time for their own courses and/or sections, thus improving teachers' and students' sanity. 

keaton_sturm
Community Novice

I am a middle school science teacher and I agree with the previous post. When the kids see 11:59pm as the due date time they think that gives them permission to stay up because "the assignment says so!" It would be very useful to be able to adjust the due time once and not have to think about it again. "Set it and forget it!" 

vrossi
Community Novice

This would be very helpful

thms7M
Community Explorer

Yes please! I'd love to make the due time default to my class start time.

tmullins55
Community Novice

A default time of 3:30 coresponding to the end of the school day would be very useful for many instructors.  It would be great to be able to set the default time for all of one professor's courses.

cheryl_parvin
Community Member

Yes, please let us change due time at the class level. I've changed thousands of due times, one assignment at a time, because I teach sections that meet at different times of day. So very tedious. And students look for loopholes when their work is late, so I can't give every class the same due time without students saying, "That's not fair! They had more time to work on this than we did!"

cmk2803
Community Member

As more and more educators use Canvas, it only makes sense for the default time to be flexible. I cannot tell you how many times I have had students argue that an assignment that was due before class should be accepted late because I neglected to change the default time on each of the assignments in the course. Multiply that effort by 5 courses, and that's a lot of time spent clicking through the LMS. 

jsirianni
Community Novice

Would like to add a default due date and availability date. All of my assignments are due by the beginning of class and they are only available for submission by the beginning of class. This would be very helpful. 

apiland
Community Member

It would save teachers time when creating assignments if there were "default" due time settings for each class section. For example, I teach a course with three sections each day, and we follow a consistent schedule throughout the week. That means that assignments are generally due at the same time each day depending on what section the student is in. 

As of now, it doesn't seem like Canvas can save "default" due times for each section. I think this is because the "Due" box when you're editing an assignment does not separate date and time.

Can the Canvas developers separate date and time designations in the assignment "edit" settings so that teachers can set "default" due times for each class, but change the date for each assignment? 

jtrempe
Community Member

I would LOVE to be able to set a default time my assignments are due.  11:59pm doesn't work for me.  I see that this idea was suggested in 2015.  Any idea how long it takes to possibly be approved?  Over 5 years seems like a very long wait.  

jtraczykiewicz
Community Member

This would be a great feature as many students work past 11:59.