Ability to Set Default Due Time at Course Level

(31)

Here is a suggestion from a teacher:

Provide a way to set a default time for assignments to be due for a specific class.

49 Comments
andrea_earl
Community Contributor

I would also like the ability to set a default due time by course. It's a lot of clicking, especially if you forget to change it. If you say 10 pm. Lots of students will turn it in between 9-10. If you say 12 - lots are submitting between 11 & 12. If you say 5 pm, magically, most complete the assignment between 4 & 5. This helps train students in executive functioning (and gets them to bed earlier.) Thanks.

hwilliams1
Community Member

I'd like to back this idea.  It seems to me having default due dates that automatically get assigned to new sections which could then be adjusted using the new assignment batch edit tool would save a huge amount of time.  For me anyway 🙂

susanmburg
Community Member

For my high school students, I would love to be able to adjust the 11:59 number default. For some courses, the default would be before class; for others that rely predominately on classwork, I'd set it up to default to the end of the class period to perhaps encourage students to use their time wisely. I could also vary it for specific students or assignments. 

fisher1
Community Contributor
atbrisk
Community Member

+1 to this idea. Setting a default to 11:59 p.m. can lead to challenging time management practices that affect mental health.

galedn
Community Member

YES. Frustrating that this was requested so long ago and still not an option.

khigh
Community Member

C'mon, Instructure! This has been an ongoing complaint for 7 years!

Assigning due dates and times for multiple sections could not be much more cumbersome and frustrating if you tried. Even though our blocks meet at the same time each day, I have to manually enter those times for six sections for every assignment. (And 11:59p is NOT an appropriate time for high school students to be completing homework.)

PLEASE give us the option of setting default due times for each section of a course.

MrsS-08
Community Member

It's so time consuming changing the time on due dates. An LMS is supposed to make us more productive, not less. Please add this!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!