Ability to Totally Hide Some Members in Course

(1)
There are times when individuals have roles in the course that require "Teacher" functionality (setting up Gradebook or grading, for example).  Our instructional designers run into this concern - we need access to set things up and troubleshoot, but we do not interact directly with students with these individuals being visible and given the "Teacher" role.  In ANGEL, we were able to "hide" people if they worked on the course behind the scenes, but did not directly interact with students.  This way, only "visible" members of the roster are visible to students.

It would be beneficial to all instructional team members and students if that functionality could be added.

27 Comments
Jeff_F
Community Champion

Yes, we have People visible as I believe that to be the most direct means for accessing groups and more.

waz107
Community Contributor

This feature would also be useful when doing peer reviews for online courses.  The person doing the review should be able to see everything (grades, comments, etc.) but does not need to be seen by the students.

lydia
Community Novice

This particular scenario is one I encounter quite often. Instructors will give other folks access to their course (to help familiarize them with the course before they take over, to help them see different ways to make use of Canvas, etc) and I've received several emails from confused students/TAs who noticed a new person show up on their course roster. I think a hide feature would prevent this perceived disruption in the learning environment. (And I'd like to be hidden because I'm really not the right person to receive those emails in the first place.)

cward
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi there,

Thank you for such a great discussion on this topic. We appreciate the insight shared here. At this time we will not develop this idea or make changes to our assignment workflow. Our user experience research indicates the workflow is appropriate at this time.  We will, however, take your insights under consideration for possible future projects.

- Chris

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

shankarg
Community Member

When adding a Faculty member, a fellow instructor, a tenure track observer, etc., an instructor may not want to make students aware of this.

There should be a way to add these folks in as discreetly as possible, i.e. be able to add them, but not have them be visible in student's views.

Of course, one could say, 'hide' the People Tab....but that is a terrible solution, considering that one may have Groups set up and students will need to use that ta to find their group members.

I am surprised this has not come up before or been considered to date.

Please add this as an urgently required feature, since it makes so much sense from our perspective as your customers and a large stakeholder - most importantly, this is a Use Case that has been completely missed from Product Requirements for the Instructor Personas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!